Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you lend out your hand tools?

Awww, hells nawww!
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You could get a copy of a Lee Valley catalog or even print out a few pages from various web sites to let him see the cost of the tools he wants to borrow. He should also know you can not carve your project if he has hold of your tools. This is an especially bad time of year if you carve projects for gifts. What will happen when he wants to carve his next project?
    For me it's not about the money, and I have no doubt that the friends to whom I would loan stuff would (over)pay if I pointed out damage. Even if they do that I'm still out all of the time I spent getting that tool to work for my technique and preferences. That's particularly a concern with carving tools as discussed here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    For me it's not about the money, and I have no doubt that the friends to whom I would loan stuff would (over)pay if I pointed out damage. Even if they do that I'm still out all of the time I spent getting that tool to work for my technique and preferences. That's particularly a concern with carving tools as discussed here.
    This is a good point. Back before I knew much about such things a coworker said he could sharpen my knife for me. He took it too the grinder and it came back worse than before he 'sharpened' it for me. The time it takes to get a good edge on a tool is often not appreciated by someone who doesn't have to sharpen a tool.

Maybe before allowing someone to borrow a tool hand them a dull tool and tell them to take it home and sharpen it. Them bringing it back sharp could be the first prerequisite before being able to use another tool. If they can't sharpen a tool, it will not be long before they have to use more force with a dull tool and that is when accidents happen.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

To the kids I loan almost anything and don't mind to get it back in bad shape. That's part of being a father I guess.

To others: only the beaters and powertools. I don't care about those.

A few years back I refused to lend tools to a relative. There was some discussion about this with my wife. A short time later this sign appeared on my bench. It was hung up immediately over the bench and remains.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really depends on the tool and the person. I think clamps are one of the hardest tools for beginners to invest in in sufficient quantity if they are people of modest means. So for someone who is building their first bookshelf or cabinet or even a cutting board I'd likely loan out clamps, but would only loan edge tools to some one who I know well and trust.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    A few years back I refused to lend tools to a relative. There was some discussion about this with my wife. A short time later this sign appeared on my bench. It was hung up immediately over the bench and remains.
    Jim
    Jim, that's too funny. I have a sign that says exactly the same thing! (Given to me by someone who also wanted to borrow a good tool.)

who wants to try Bevel up smoother

This thread reminded me of one of my all time favorite threads here

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=Plane

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Awww, hells nawww!
    Bingo. One of the best ways to mess up a relationship is to loan treasured tools or money. I just say no and I don't apologize for it. I'm not a crusty curmudgeon but, when it comes to my special tools, the answer is no.

A Craftsman circ-saw, a Harbor Freight socket set, sure. My Millers Falls No. 14 from the 1950's, my new Veritas shooting plane or Grandpa's egg-beater drill . . . No way.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-03-2016 at 8:55 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

To a select few

I will lend even my best tools to a select few. I can count those folks on the fingers of one hand. The list does NOT include my son who is rough on things and considers tools a disposable/consumable item. Just a about a year and a half ago I loaned out a complete kit of Windsor chairmakers tools to a member of our woodworking guild who was taking one of the last Mike Dunbar classes. They were returned clean, undamaged, and sharpened.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Call me selfish but...Absolutely not!

When I was young, my Life support tech insisted you never ever loan out certain things:
    Your oxygen mask, spouse, fine tools and any book or petty cash that you really want back.

I like the idea of providing a catalogue with prices marked. Of course, that doesn't even begin to account for all the time invested into preparing and maintaining carving chisels. That's an easy "no" for me.

Dave, You mentioned your son but I'd go even further. I have someone I won't even give Tools to until they "grow up" and take care of things. As my Dad would say, "that kid would ruin an anvil" which may be what you're saying.
    Last edited by Kevin Hampshire; 12-03-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Absolutely yes, and my neighbors have borrowed many times from me, except the bulky tools like tablesaw. Tools are not a collection to me and how wrong could they become after use, even by a less-skilled hand. A dull blade can be quickly honed back or a blemished plane restored.

These people I know are reasonable DIYers and know what they are doing. All my Veritas tools are returned in pretty much the same conditions as they were. I bring my tools to classes I teach and let the students use freely. After more than 15 years of loaning tools, I lose no sleep over what would happen if my loaned dovetail saw is damaged or if my rabbet plane is dropped. Touch wood, they have never happened.

Simon

Hi All,

This is a tough one for me. I don't have an answer that I am satisfied with. I have loaned tools and have been burned more than once in the past. I think I will still lend, but will be more careful to ask questions and explain safe techniques, correct handling, etc. In some cases, I might just ask if I could just do the repair with the borrower, or for them.

Maybe I need to set up some "loaners." Good enough tools, but ones that won't be a painful loss if ruined. An example of a painful loss would be my dads 605 Bedrock plane that I have spent bunches of hours restoring, and very much want to leave to my son in law to be eventually passed on to one of the grandkids, or one of my few tools that were my grandfathers....again I intend to pass them on to a grandsons or son in laws.

I think it is more important to care about the person than the tool, but at the same time it is important to use discernment.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 12-03-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Depends, there are a few people who I would honored to loan a tool to.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

There are very few people I know that I would trust with a good tool. So my answer would be no. On occasion I have loaned a tool to someone I know who knows how to use and borrow a tool. Return it the way you got it. I would never borrow tools.