Thread: "Flaking" after finish....?

"Flaking" after finish....?

I am not even sure that I am using the right terms of "flake" or "shake" in the wood. So please excuse my lack of knowledge in advance.

I recently finished a Farmhouse Table and benches using reclaimed Chestnut from real old Amish barns. The wood looks beautiful, but considering the age of the material, I am having a little bit of concern after.

Enclosed in the pictures you can see this was spray finished with a poly. The wood was obviously milled and sanded many times over. Furthermore, I used West Systems epoxy to fill any knots, splits, or old nail holes. I also used (5) minute epoxy on some of the other places. The piece turned out great except for the fact that I have a couple spots that the wood has some "shake" in it. I have noticed that wearing a pair of pants sometimes catches the wood and starts lifting it which I know will eventually cause a large split.

Anyone have a similar experience and is there anything I can do to fix this? Maybe apply a small epoxy topcoat?

Thanks!IMG_1474.jpgComp-MCP-1.jpgComp-MCP-2.jpgComp-MCP-3.jpg

What you have is some unattached slivers of wood, with varnish on top of that. I'd try flowing superglue in behind the slivers, hoping to nail them down.

I agree with Jamie. Use a razor blade to gently hold the sliver up and get some glue behind it. More coating whether epoxy or not will bridge over the top but won't hold a sliver down. Cheers

I also agree with Jamie. You need to get something behind the "flakes" to stabilize them. This is unfortunately a common issue with reclaimed lumber...a bench I made last year had a similar "feature" and I had to get glue under the problem areas. Fortunately, I was able to do that prior to finishing, but had one spot where I had to go back and inject CA to fix something I missed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Next time you work with lumber that you suspect might have unattached slivers like this, take the lumber to near-finish state, then wet the surface. You don't have to soak it. Just use a sponge to get it damp. The slivers will absorb the water, and stand up away from the body of the wood. Glue 'em back down, re-sand, and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Next time you work with lumber that you suspect might have unattached slivers like this, take the lumber to near-finish state, then wet the surface. You don't have to soak it. Just use a sponge to get it damp. The slivers will absorb the water, and stand up away from the body of the wood. Glue 'em back down, re-sand, and you're good to go.
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Jamie, I did indeed wet everything to raise the grain several times before my final finishing. But I never tried to glue again after that. I was hoping that the finish would just hold. Thanks for the tip that I can use next time! I guess like everyone said this just comes with the territory with old wood.

Between a 9 foot table (1 spot) and two benches to accompany (3 spots) I guess I will just be in for years of keeping an eye on it. When the wood originally looks like the below photo, I guess I should just be happy with what I got.....haha

Today I took the slivers and lifted them and tried to use 5 second glue to hold them down and not glue my fingers to the bench at the same time. It seemed to work great. Now I will just have to sand that small spot and refinish being extra careful.....

Sorry for the newb question, but where the hell did I get "shake" and "flake" from? Maybe Talledega Nights "Shake N' Bake!"

Thanks again!!

Comp-MCP-1.jpg