Thread: Jet 18" bandsaw bearing replacement question...

Jet 18" bandsaw bearing replacement question...

The upper wheel bearings are shot on my Jet 18" bandsaw. I removed the upper wheel and found that the bearing shaft has a nut on one end that must be removed before the shaft can be pulled out. The opposite end of this shaft is round and can't be easily held in a vise to remove the nut. The bearings are held in place with two retaining clips on the inside of the wheel. Is there a way to remove this nut?
    Here is a link showing the upper wheel diagram:
    http://www.ereplacementparts.com/jet...84_282344.html

Thanks,
    Kurt

If you have removed the assembly already try gripping the shaft between 2 blocks of soft wood. If you have a regular machinist type vice then use the wood strips to protect the shaft from scarring. If it's still installed on the machine try to remove it there. This is where an impact gun would work well. Assuming you get the nut off the bearings are held in place with snap rings and a pair of snap ring pliers would be the easiest way to remove and install them. Not knowing your mechanical skills I don't know how more detail to go into.

Don't you have to remove the nut before the wheel will come off of the saw? That's how it worked when I replaced the bearings on other bandsaws. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe the Jet is set up differently.

--Geoff

Yeah, I tried putting the shaft in a vise, but even my machinist vise doesn't have enough grip. I was going to buy a nut splitter to get the nut off, but instead will bring it to a car shop or a local machinist. The long-term plan is to replace the stock nut with two narrower ones I can tighten against each other. I just can't understand how they tightened it at the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Swanson View Post
    Yeah, I tried putting the shaft in a vise, but even my machinist vise doesn't have enough grip. I was going to buy a nut splitter to get the nut off, but instead will bring it to a car shop or a local machinist. The long-term plan is to replace the stock nut with two narrower ones I can tighten against each other. I just can't understand how they tightened it at the company.
    Can you remove the nut while the shaft and wheel are still attached to the saw? On bandsaws I've worked on, the bearings are pressed into the wheel, but just slide onto the shaft. So you remove the nut, pull the wheel off of the shaft, and then replace the bearings. No need to remove the axle shaft from the saw.

--Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    Can you remove the nut while the shaft and wheel are still attached to the saw? On bandsaws I've worked on, the bearings are pressed into the wheel, but just slide onto the shaft. So you remove the nut, pull the wheel off of the shaft, and then replace the bearings. No need to remove the axle shaft from the saw.

--Geoff
    The shaft is attached to a bracket with a socket head cap screw. Unscrewing the the nut just results in loosening the cap screw.

Looking at the pic of the shaft on the parts site makes me believe that it is left hand thread. Which way are you trying to turn the nut to remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Looking at the pic of the shaft on the parts site makes me believe that it is left hand thread. Which way are you trying to turn the nut to remove it?
    John, you were right. I turned the nut the opposite way and it came right off. Thanks so much for your help!