Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help buying new tools

Help buying new tools

I am looking to buy a couple of new bowl gouges. 3/8 and maybe a 5/8 or maybe a spindle detail tool.

I am looking at
    D-way tools,
    Carter & Son,
    Thompson tools,
    The prices are pretty close and i think they all three use the same steel they do have some differences in the groove shape.
    I assume they have good customer service.
    Any input would be helpful I plan on picking up a spindle roughing gouge later.

I don't use Carter & Son, but Dave (D-Way) uses M42 Cobalt steel and Doug Thompson uses V10 Vanadium steel. While they have somewhat different characteristics, generally the performance is on a par. I have a 3/8" Thompson V bowl gouge I love. I also have a 1/2" Thompson V that I like, but my go to bowl gouge is a 1/2" D-Way. For spindle detail gouges, I like Doug's 1/4" and 3/8". I use the 1/4" on very small finial work, and I use the 3/8" for all kinds of work. It is one of my favorite tools.

I have Dave's roughing gouge and like it. I have not used Doug's, but I am sure it is excellent.

Customer service from either is top notch.

Of those tools mentioned, I only have Thompson tools. The customer service from Doug is amazing. He won't sell you a roughing gouge for delicate finial work and his tools are excellent. I've got a couple of bowl gouges, a couple of detail gouges and a fluteless bowl gouge and they are all top notch tools....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I've only been turning for about a year so I don't have a ton of gouges, so take this for what it's worth.

I started with a cheapo Narex bowl gouge that was 30 bucks. Didn't mind messing it up on the grinder while i learned to sharpen. Served its purpose.

When I was ready to buy a good quality tool, I bought a Oneway Mastercut bowl gouge in a 5/8" V. The flute is super deep on it & wide open so you can pull huge shavings when roughing green wood, although it tends to chatter more easily. But the quality of the steel isn't all that great and it doesn't hold an edge for very long.

My go-to gouge for bowls now is a Thompson 5/8" V. The flute is not as deep which gives the tool more mass, so you can get away with hanging more of it out over the tool rest. I like the shape of the flute on this one much better, and it holds an edge like 5 times longer, no exaggeration. Very versatile, I can pull thick roughing shavings as well as make tiny, whispy little fluffy finishing cuts with it.

I don't have any D-Way tools yet, but I can tell you that I will definitely buy more Thompson tools.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

I was lucky and started with a Sorby set. I've since graduated to D-Way and Thompson tools. Both are outstanding! I do have a Thompson 1" roughing gauge and I love it. Much more heft than the Sorby and it stays sharper longer. Even better is the customer service these gentlemen provide. I have had long discussions with both Dave and Doug and have always hung up the phone much more knowledgeable than when I called. They are not only excellent tool makers, they actually care about their customers. I do not believe you will hear 1 bad word about either of these gentlemen on from anyone on the Creek. Someday I hope to be as good as my tools.
    John

Like John, I don't use Carter and sons tools. I've got tools by Crown, Hamlet and Sorby, but by far I've got more tools from D-way than any other. Dave's 1/2" and 5/8" bowl gouges and a 3'8" spindle gouge are in constant use. They hold an edge beautifully, and the extra step of polishing the flutes clears shavings quickly. I couldn't prove it empiricaly, but I feel that the polished flute results in a cleaner edge that almost looks like its honed when it comes off a 180 CBN wheel.

I've heard excellent things about Thompson's tools and recently acquired one of Thompson's Jamieson-designed gouges - but I haven't used it yet - it's waiting for the shop to be finished up before turning is back on the agenda. I was a little surprised to see the finish on the tool when it arrived, but I've been spoiled by the polish on my D-way tools. I guess I'll see if it makes a difference...

The bottom line is, in my estimation, you can't go wrong with either. They're both quality tools built by quality guys that back up what they make and offer free advice at the drop of a hat.

By the way, while you're looking at tools, check out the D-way Ultra-thin tapered parting tool. If you make boxes, it cuts a very thin kerf and doesn't deflect at all - it's the same M42 steel and nicely machined with a slight taper top to bottom that's perfect for separating lids from bases for a perfect grain match.

I use the Thompson and D Way as my go to tools. I don't have any of the Carter tools. Most of the time I am reaching for my Thompson. I need to regrind my D Way to my preferred gouge which is a 45/45 grind, 45 degree bevel, and 45 degree sweep, free hand on a platform. Dougs U gouge just doesn't feel right with a swept back grind, but the V does. I have a Lyle Jamieson parabolic flute gouge that is made by Doug and it is good also. I don't use the swept grinds at all any more. I do my roughing with scrapers, and same with my shear scraping. For my BOB (bottom of bowl) tools, Doug's fluteless gouge, and a couple of others with a ) nose profile, and a 70 degree bevel. Scrapers, don't need more than 1 inch wide...

robo hippy

robo hippy

I have and have used Sorby, Crown, Thompson, and some other brands over the years. If starting now I would buy Thompson. I especially like his spindle gouges, detail gouges, and shallow detail gouges. (I like spindle turning) I keep several identical gouges of those I use the most so I can keep playing, er, working without having to stop to sharpen as often.S

Spindle roughing gouge: I use several larger ones of various makes, especially for larger blanks. But my favorite for smaller diameter spindles is the one Doug Thompson makes out of 5/8" round stock and puts the Mark StLeger name on it. I use this without a handle. I use it both for roughing and for shaping.

JKJ

I own several Thompson tools, including a 5/8 V bowl gouge, 1/2" V bowl Gouge, and a 3/8" V bowl gouge. The 5/8" V is my go-to tool. I've got a few good-quality M2 Steel tools, and the more I use them the more I like my Thompson tools. While I don't own any D-Way or Carter and Son tools, I'm sure they're fine quality and worthy of consideration; that said, I can certainly vouch for Thompson's tools, customer service and overall value. It's remarkable how well these tools hold an edge!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

I help Doug Thompson at the big Symposiums so it is suffice to say that I use mostly his tools and swear by them. I recently bought some of Dave's tools that Doug does not make and they are well made. If there were no Thompson tools I would have all of Dave's tools. As far as the third name mentioned I would not use one of theirs if they were giving them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    As far as the third name mentioned I would not use one of theirs if they were giving them away.
    I feel the same.

Thank you for all your input I think I will call Thompson tool Monday. I guess I have one more question which shape groove will work best for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    ...which shape groove will work best for me?
    Ted, that really depends on the intended use, your style of turning, level of experience, etc. It really isn't possible for someone else to provide a good answer. It would be best if you could use both the U and the V before buying, or just buy both. I have a Thompson U that I use exclusively as a bottom feeder. I use the 3/8" V for more than you can imagine and is a favorite gouge. On the other hand, for most material removal and shaping I prefer the parabolic flute of the D-Way. That said, I also will use the Thompson 1/2" V at times because for whatever unknown reason I can get a better cut on a particular piece of wood.

Moral of the story - buy both!

Thanks for the advise I can't think of a better excuse for buying more than one tool. I hope she buys it

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I feel the same.

Yup me too
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.