Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Lie-Nielsen plane is not a collectable. They still make them. Please stop.

Blog Entries

Your Lie-Nielsen plane is not a collectable. They still make them. Please stop.

It's like the "Beanie Babies" trend, only much more costly. Here are a few of the latest eBay attempts at making a giant profit off a Lie-Nielsen tool. At least with the white bronze limited editions they are actually limited, but come on- stop the madness. $1250???

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Even the empty box is collectable. Great news- I have enough boxes to pay for a new No. 8. I'd better get those posted.

image.jpg

Rosewood handle- I get it- and they don't make that handle any more, but is the handle worth the additional $200? I'm going to say no- no it isn't.

image.jpg

End rant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Oh come on, let them waste their money how ever they want. In 100 years our grandchildren's grandchildren might be able to pick them up at a yard sale for cheap because know one knows what it is.

My 'collectable' tools tend to get sold off and the good users stay in the shop. Yesterday some time was spent cleaning up a 1/2" Stanley 750 chisel. It is a nice chisel and tempting me to keep it as a user even though my shop runneth over with 1/2" chisels.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So true Malcolm, so true......I share in your amazement on the prices.

That's just the tip of that iceberg.

Grab a beer, sit back, and have a chuckle as you read the search results for "rare plane."

One of my favorites was the back half of a #4 billed as a "rare chisel plane," ....and it actually got two bids!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Canaday View Post
    That's just the tip of that iceberg.

Grab a beer, sit back, and have a chuckle as you read the search results for "rare plane."

One of my favorites was the back half of a #4 billed as a "rare chisel plane," ....and it actually got two bids!
    To be fair, there aren't many back half of a #4 converted to a chisel plane- they may be on point calling that "rare."

I learned a little while ago that the custom on ebay is to price things way above what they are worth in the hope that a fool will buy it or close to the ridiculous price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    I learned a little while ago that the custom on ebay is to price things way above what they are worth in the hope that a fool will buy it or close to the ridiculous price.
    A fool and his money are soon parted on eBay. (Old saying with a modern twist.)

Those two white bronze planes are actually special editions and theoretically should increase in value. These ads are primarily for foreign markets. The chisel plane is an earlier model, but I find that that has no positive effect on value. If Lie-Nielsen ever does go out of business, then you might find values increasing considerably, but let's hope that never happens. Its not all​ about the dollar value.

Blog Entries
    My three Lie Nielsen planes are "collectibles" to me. They are not the bench planes though.

I have Bedrocks for bench planes except for my #3 Bailey, which is my go to plane for most tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Canaday View Post
    I wonder what the front half sold for? Somewhere in here there's a joke involving the value of the different ends of a horse...

The bidders may have seen the plane corpse as a source for parts they needed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    I wonder what the front half sold for? Somewhere in here there's a joke involving the value of the different ends of a horse...

The bidders may have seen the plane corpse as a source for parts they needed.
    My recollection is it sold for more than a parts plane would sell. I recall this one from a couple of years ago.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ebay is a weird phenomenon, I am noticing I can sell most of my Lie Nielsen tools for more than I paid. Also, the jointer planes for 3k are insane. I realize they stopped making that one but still.

I was looking for a source for prices of Lie Nielsen planes that are out of production that I have sold this past year and found this thread. Most of my LN planes were bought at 3/4 of new price as used, typically in like new with box condition. I need to deduct the cost of these asset sales from income tax as reported by eBay sales (over $20K, not all LN.) No one can see the future clearly, and maybe some of the posters were hoping people would not drive up the prices of LN merchandise thinking them collectable thus making them less affordable. Most of my LN sales were at 2x to 4x, or more, of new original prices. I have kept LNs that make the end of the process of wood prep easier and use restored Stanleys for less demanding work. I have not gone away from LN. I just bought a #51 new from LN and would like to buy a new #6 now that it is again in production, but I'll wait til the market makes them available as used for less. And so it goes, round and round.

I use all my planes, and have not ever considered selling them just because they have risen in value. Here are a couple. Curiosity asks what they might command ...

Lie Nielsen Anniversary #4 1/2 alongside a bronze #3 with Rosewood handles ...

Lie Nielsen #140 skew block plane. This was the first made. I discovered this when I was restoring it with the assistance of Thomas LN. It is slightly longer than the current model, and has a W1 blade.

Taken before the addition of a Rosewood knob (a gift from LN Australia many years ago when I would demonstrate for them at tool shows) ..

What about a 1882 Miller Patent Plough Plane by Paul Hamler?

One-of-a-kind Veritas BU Smoother (okay, I modified it ..) ..

Can you get the NX60 any longer? One of the most beautiful planes ever.

There are many more. I could never part with them. They all have a story and fond memories.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'm just glad I got my core kit before the prices got insane. On the flip side, I did well on all my vintage stuff when I sold it and that provided a generous subsidy for the new gear.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.