Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a picture of work made using Hand Tools.

Blog Entries
    Such beautiful work being posted in this thread!!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Great thread Brian and some truly inspirational work on here. For some reason I can't get the finished stool picture to upload and just gave up. This is a Perch Stool that I decided to try making. The legs are ash from a tree that blew down last year and I split up into billets to let dry. The seat is maple which ended up being really difficult to carve with my limited selection of dishing hand tools. I basically roughed it out with a large gouge and used spokeshaves and a couple of travishers to fine tune the shape. I scraped the seat to a smooth finish and am really happy with the final result, which I can't seam to get uploaded.

The legs were a lot of fun for me as I do not own a lathe. I had to saw out the shape with a bowsaw so it was square and basically made an octagon and then round. I used drawknives and spokeshaves to complete this task which I thought was a blast. No sandpaper touched the legs and stretchers so there is very slight facets left behind that really can only be felt.

This project was purely hand tool only and I really enjoyed the process. I plan on making another in the real near future to have a pair of these. The seating position of Peter Galbert's Perch Stool is really a great design. It forces you to sit with good posture. There are a lot of chairs out there that make this claim but this is the only design where I have found this to actually be true. I highly recommend people trying their hand at one of these if there at all interested in making a Windsor Style chair. There is a ton to learn from starting with this stool and a lot you can do to make it your own design. Again I wish I could get the finished stool uploaded, I will continue to work on it.

Perch Stool Assembly.jpg
    Perch Stool Legs.jpg

Blog Entries
    Wonderful work! I find the windsor designs quite appealing, they seem like they would fit nicely with modern furniture.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

bench legvise.jpg

Hesitant to post my hand tool work within such outstanding skill/work.

My workbench was done mostly with handtools and from reclaimed LLP old growth heartwood. The wood was saved from our German stone house remodeling, built around 1900.

Took over 8 months to build and that does not include gathering the wood.

The bench is a split top design, 10 ft long, 3 ft high and 32 inch deep, 5 inch thick, with Benchcrafted Crisscross leg vise and a Lie-Nielsen tail vise.

Thought that cutting the angled rectangular dog holes by hand would be the most difficult, and time consuming part of the build.

Turns out that premise was wrong, used my Millers Falls miter box to cut the dog hole boundaries, then chiseled out the waste and cleaned up with a router plane, only took me a couple of days total, and I don't work that much in a given day ;-)

My bench dogs are also made with handtools, copies of the LN design.

Highly pleased with the bench, most pleased with the LN tail vise, almost used a Benchcrafted Wagon vise, because I had installed one on another bench and knew the LN was a more difficult installation, sure am glad I did not follow my own advice on that one....

bench.jpg

bench & moxon.jpg

5. I'll echo the sentiment about being hesitant to post in the company of what's been posted so far, but here's a few from my "portfolio".

10989209_10153085461596740_1955813830584330204_n.jpgFarm Table.jpgCoffee Table.jpgtrestle table.jpg

Machines were used for rough stock prep for all, but hand tools did the majority of the work on these.

Great thread so far! I'm awed by the talent on display.

First hand tool project (outside of shop projects and small items) earlier this year. Wine and glass rack (6 bottle, 9 glass) out of red oak.

IMG_2964_scaled.jpgIMG_2965_scaled.jpg

More recent project (intended for warmer months, but it will be ready for next year!). Folding beach chair out of white oak.
    Upright Side Cropped.jpgLeaning Side Cropped.jpgReclined Side Cropped.jpgFolded Down Cropped scaled.jpg

Here's a little box I made completely with hand tools, including stock preparation. It's mahogany so the wood was easy to work.

Mike

Box1.jpgBox3.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Terrific work everyone! I'm always in awe at the talent here in our little forum. It's truly inspiring even though I feel like the least able guy in the room.

I'm working on a frame and panel toy box as a present for my grandkids. It's a simple, original design and it's it's all made with basic hand tools but is so crude and basic compared to what I see here, I'm reluctant to post a photo. What makes me want to post a photo is that it might encourage others at with less developed skills.

PS: Also, I haven't taken a photo of it yet.
    Last edited by Daniel Rode; 12-12-2016 at 1:24 PM.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    Cradle boat with 198 hand-riveted copper rivets, and wood surfboard with abalone inlays, all done with hand tools except initial dimensioning of the lumber. All made from large pieces of rough-cut lumber.

IMG_0459.jpg

Those that arrive at my little place find walking in the backdoor is easier to get to my shop in the basement......they also have to come in through the screendoor I made with hand tools..
    screen door install.jpg
    Just painted pine..
    IMAG0195.jpg
    grooves for the raised panels..
    IMAG0200.jpg
    Through mortises with a chisel..
    IMAG0206.jpg
    Housed, pinned, and wedged.
    Looks better than the ones from the BORG, and might even last longer?

I am definately not worthy but here is a box I made.....

Last edited by nima hadavi; 12-13-2016 at 6:25 PM.

Nice box Nima. I like the chamfer work. What is the piece showing from underneath the box?
    David

It resembles a sort of floating base as seen more so in the below image....

Nice!!!! I might have to "steal" that idea......

[Greg Krummel]
    More recent project (intended for warmer months, but it will be ready for next year!). Folding beach chair out of white oak.
    Upright Side Cropped.jpg

This is beautiful, and very much like what I have been looking for as a star-gazing chair. Do you happen to have plans?