Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Post a picture of work made using Hand Tools.

Here's few of mine, with the hand tool proof.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Piranha

Built this 33 year' ago when I had NO tools! Scammed an old plane, brace drill and saw from a dead guy. Wedged the wood (Bludy Heavy Piranha Pine) onto Cotswold stone wall t' plane it, across t' wall t' saw it. Fitted the dowels wi m'e teeth. Inside rails ripped b'hand while beer drink'in folk sat'on wall and board!
    Walk int' t' frame, it hurts, nere a shimmy! Crazy eavy, bootiful grain and patna.
    Bed.jpg

Does mostly made with hand tools count?
    Click the thumbs for full size.

Mainly hand tools.....could have been done 100%...COPD doesn't enough some things...
    better lighting.jpg
    Walnut table...Christmas present for the Boss's Pastor...

This is the first thing I made with hand tools only (did some ripping with a bandsaw).

Osage/Walnut joiners mallet made from firewood.

Joiners Mallet.jpg

Joiners Mallet Head.jpg
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

Thanks Brian!

Jim: I agree, it's very obvious. Working on it

A box for my crystolon stone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Normand Leblanc View Post
    About a year ago I've made a large cutting board all with hand tools. Let me tell you that only a retired person (or someone with lot of free time) can do something like that because it takes a large amount of time. I've made one but it's the last one.

Attachment 348789
    I don't care how long that took you, it is drop-dead gorgeous. I always think about setting up a shop with no electricity allowed, not even lights or heating. I would use lanterns and wood stove. Then my wife says, "you'd never get anything done," and I quit thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Frie View Post
    I don't care how long that took you, it is drop-dead gorgeous. I always think about setting up a shop with no electricity allowed, not even lights or heating. I would use lanterns and wood stove. Then my wife says, "you'd never get anything done," and I quit thinking about it.
    You're right it is gorgeous. That bad boy is huge. Was it meant as a counter top? Or so Normand could carve up a whole side of beef on it?!!

Thanks Ed and Allan. Here is some installed pictures.
    image1.jpgimage2.jpg

That's at my sister house.

Norman's, that is a really brilliant design. How did you arrange the pieces?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'm not in your category Derek, so thanks for the nice words.

I've assemble many strips, like 3 or 4 blocks x 2 ft long or so making sure that none of them were the same pattern. Then I cut them to the required length (the thickness of this cutting board).

Next step was to assemble those strips to achieve one complete row.

I've documented the process on my blog.
    http://ancienscopeaux.ca/en/a-huge-cutting-board/

I posted these in a thread of their own, but I figured I put them up here too. This is a Hall/Sofa Table that I made for a charity auction. It's made from Ash with a Pommele Makore Veneered center section, breadboard ends, floating top, and curved legs. I used the table saw to rough out the lumber and the band saw to cut the basic shape of the legs from a square blank. Everything else was done with hand tools.

20170131_165531.jpg 20170131_165241.jpg 20170209_155916.jpg 20170210_175035.jpg 20170211_160807.jpg 20170212_183203.jpg 20170214_204744.jpg 20170217_141515.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Table looks great! As for the Dungeon Shop..
    finished.JPG
    Pine, 5 drawer Chest of Drawers for shop storage. The box on top?
    top.JPG
    Is a Poplar box I made to house the Stanley No. 45 that made a lot of the joints for both of these.
    lid open.jpg
    To replace a OEM box that the USPS used as a soccer ball..box joints were by hand, as well.

Tool Chest with Stand

Last year I was working out of town, and the place I was staying had a small garage. I asked my local purveyor of WW tools for some ideas for a project I could build using hand tools. He suggested a tool chest. I used Mike Pekovich's design from FWW.

I bought milled lumber for the project, and the only power tool I took with me was a skill saw for cutting to rough length. I did have to thickness plane a couple of pieces by hand.

20161201_171712-small.jpg20161201_171807-small.jpg

The chest is back home now and most of the tools that fit in it went back into my wall-hanging chest. I do keep my mortising chisels in one of the drawers and well, my tool collection does seem to keep growing...

-Kris-