Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Post a picture of work made using Hand Tools.

1. Finished this last month. It's a Greek Tzouras, 57cm scale length, bowl carved and hollowed from a slab of "mystery wood", and almost all the rest of it made from scraps and leftovers that were in the shop. 100% hand tools. The only electrons that died making this were the ones running the lights, the heat, and the stereo...

IMG_0705.jpg

Nice work!
    -Howard

There's some beautiful pieces in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Recchione View Post
    Finished this last month. It's a Greek Tzouras, 57cm scale length, bowl carved and hollowed from a slab of "mystery wood", and almost all the rest of it made from scraps and leftovers that were in the shop. 100% hand tools. The only electrons that died making this were the ones running the lights, the heat, and the stereo...

IMG_0705.jpg
    You sir, might appreciate the talents of a man named Manolis Hiotis - I believe it was Jimmy Hendrix that said Hiotis was the most talented man on a stringed instrument. Beautiful piece, btw. Have you made others of this type?

4. Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    There's some beautiful pieces in this thread.

You sir, might appreciate the talents of a man named Manolis Hiotis - I believe it was Jimmy Hendrix that said Hiotis was the most talented man on a stringed instrument. Beautiful piece, btw. Have you made others of this type?
    Thanks! I am very familiar with Hiotis - he's the father of the "modern" tetraxordio bouzouki, and was a real virtuoso. He more or less invented the modern bouzouki style. I have a tetraxordio bouzouki (though I can't play like Hiotis), but in recent years have been more attracted to the more raw, traditional rebetiko style, played on the trixordio instruments. (Think Markos Vamvakaris and earlier - kind of like the "Greek Blues").

This tzouras is a trixordio, tuned Dd-aa-dd, and is a traditional rebetiko instrument. I've also made a "cigar box" trixordio baglamas, which I've played out with a few times. I had originally planned to make a complete set of trixordio instruments (baglama, tzouras, and bouzouki), but I've just started another build, which is a sort of a copy of a 16th Century Spanish vihuela de mano - a different path altogether.

I've been a pretty dedicated neanderthal since the early days on The Porch, back in the 1990s, but my interests have sort of shifted away from furniture to stringed instruments, mostly either ethnic/folk or historical. I guess I'm more on the historical kick right now.

Thanks again for the kind words!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Howard Pollack View Post
    Nice work!
    -Howard
    Thanks, Howard!
    - Mike

Hi all, I found this thread a very nice one. Maybe it can be brought back to life? Some recent projects of mine.

Planemaking saw:

IMG_0905.jpg

Jack plane

IMG_1037.jpg

Hornbeam kanna:

IMG_1460.jpg

and finally getting a frame saw together. Here ripping alder for a table top.

IMG_1464.jpg

A lot of toolmaking. Have been moving, building a bench, and setting up my workshop so more builds other than tools are coming up.

What have you been up to?

asome plane oskar! jerry

I built this Folding Campaign table based on pictures on "Pegs and Tails" blog. I used a laminated panel for the top and dimensioned lumber for the rest. The only power tool was a drill with screwdriver bit.

Ken Martin

Campaign-table.jpg

At the first entry even timber framing projects were included. Well, I didn't see one so far and even though my workshop is a work in progress stretching back some years and still not completed, we can call it current. Instead of using only hand tools, (there was no choice) I use axes only.
    But of course I don't hammer nails with an axe.
    P6201578.jpg P8040824.jpg foto 3-29_2.jpg
    Squaring up
    DSC_0151.jpg
    Joinery
    PC091559.jpg PC081545.jpg foto 3-20.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ernest dubois; 02-04-2018 at 4:24 PM.

Made MOSTLY with hand tools in a Hybrid shop...
    assembled.jpg
    Stands 73-1/2" tall, by 26" wide.
    front view.jpg
    Made a "Rachel's Standing Desk" for my wife's Pastor to teach from...
    gouge.jpg
    Rust hunt gouge, was used to .....
    finger rest.jpg
    To make a finger rest under a lid....
    front view.jpg
    Of a small chest...
    hinge side.jpg
    Cherry panels were "raised" with a hand plane. Walnut frames were grooved to hold the panels using a stanley 45. Corner joints use a Tongue & Groove joint, also from the 45.
    Has been a busy year...

half blind dovetail.jpg

beech rebate plane 2.jpg

Two recent projects. Mahogany desk for my daughter, and a beech shoulder/rebate plane, 3/4", for myself.
    Jeff

Pretty dovetails, Jeff. Can you show the whole desk?

Blog Entries
    My main hand tool project last year was a cabinet to hold books and some drawers:

The Inspector.jpg

It is already full and there is need of more shelves and drawers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Prashun

Thanks for your interest. The desk was made from an approx. 80 year old (when it was cut) recycled board of honduran mahogany that a friend gave to me about 15 years ago. I'd been saving it for something special. I got three 11 foot long and 16"-18" wide boards from him. 2 were walnut (beautiful old growth) and 1 turned out to be this honduran mahogany board. They were paneling boards out of his grandfather's house, built back in the late 1920's to early 1930's.

The desk is 26" deep and 48" wide. I used almost every square inch of it, and the rips off each width were used for the aprons around the sides and back. I had to use 8/4 sapele for the legs, and 5/4 sapele for the front and drawer (1 piece). My daughter is an environmentalist, extremely active, and recycling this board made her extremely happy.

After flattening the top

flatten top.JPG

She wanted bowties, so African Blackwood it is

bowties.JPG

mahogany desk 2.JPG
    Jeff

Really nice, Jeff. Looks like it was a joy to work with.