Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a picture of work made using Hand Tools.

You mean four pieces of furniture,​ Derek. That plane surely qualifies.

I made my newest workbench a couple years back entirely from handtools, with the exception that I milled the trees with my Woodmizer sawmill, which is definitely a power tool. I think I filled up a couple of garbage cans of plane shavings. I made the bench completely from my stack of "reject" boards that had been passed over for other projects due to checks, knotholes, etc..... I tried my best to bury most of the knotholes in the center of the bench, but a few were at the surface after planing. It's 5" thick, 96" X 24", and has Benchcrafted vise hardware......which I absolutely love.

Here's some pics:

A lot of work and time this way, but very satisfying in the end. I think I'll use my 30" planer to even up the top next time before finishing it with smoothing planes. That took forevvvvvvvvvverrrrrrr.

It's made of a hard maple top, cherry end cap and legs (5" X 3.5"), and soft maple rails for the bottom shelf (not shown in these pics.) Bottom shelf made recently from tongue and groove knotty pine.
    Last edited by Jeff Heath; 12-05-2016 at 7:07 PM.
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    All hand tools, and it shows

Rob, thanks for sharing the pics of your bench/step.

I love the exposed joinery – through, wedged tennons and ebony (?) pegged lap joints are awesome in my book!

I also like the design; great for showing off some dramatic wood, incorporating curves, all with overall scope/scale that shouldn't take forever. I appreciate your inspiration – I am absolutely gonna steal your idea and build one of these!

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Sometimes I rough out with machines, and sometimes I do not. But once that is done, all it just handwork.

I post these only because others have, but they have been seen too often as part of an on-line builds to be interesting any longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Last three pieces of furniture ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

As much as I admire your typical humility, your suggestion that the 3 examples of your work you included above "have been seen too often as part of online builds as to be interesting no longer", made me laugh so hard (in admiration) that I I spit what I consider to be really good whiskey, all over the desk!

I'm just going to come right out with it:: as my 22 and 25 year old Boys would say, "Dude, you've got mad skills!".

Speaking only for myself, your bridle plow plane with the highly figured body, brass fittings and contrasting wedge/guide rods (not to mention your multimedia chair and blanket chest projects), are all fantastic, beautiful projects I couldn't approach on my best day. I'm personally grateful for all your posts and I hope you keep them coming!

Best, Mike

I still do some handtool work but mostly carvings.I like my machines too much to not use them.Heres some pics i have only because my wife took them.
    A Santa clause in walnut and mermaid letter opener in ebony.
    I hope these qualify.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Rob, thanks for sharing the pics of your bench/step.

I love the exposed joinery – through, wedged tennons and ebony (?) pegged lap joints are awesome in my book!

I also like the design; great for showing off some dramatic wood, incorporating curves, all with overall scope/scale that shouldn't take forever. I appreciate your inspiration – I am absolutely gonna steal your idea and build one of these!

Cheers, Mike
    Thanks Mike -

i have to to give credit where credit is due.... this is inspired by a Chris Becksvoort piece that was shown in Fine Woodworking. I made some small changes such as adding the trestle to add some strength. It's all wood with no mechanical fasteners and the only glue is a drop or so on the wedges and pegs. I'm a big fan of exposed joinery, wedged tenons and other old time means to lock things tight. The pegs and wedges are black walnut.

- Rob
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Phil Mueller;2630345]Recent hall table. The only power used was to resaw the top.

Attachment 348800

Phil,

Thanks so much for sharing pics of your Hall table.

I love the combination of the "athletic" feel of your design and the undeniably organically gorgeous figure/look of the Koa tabletop.

FWIW, I think you absolutely nailed two ofI what IMHO are the most important dimensions ofbuilding something exceptional. Thanks again for sharing! You should be justifiably proud.

All the best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Just finished this cabinet from Michael Pekovich article in FWW. I chose cherry instead of the oak he used. All joinery is by hand on the case and the door. All hand-planed and scraped. His theme for the design is "shadow lines" formed by slight offsetting all joints by about a 16th inch so that there is a feeling of depth even in a small piece like this one.

Michael, thanks for sharing !

IMHO, your execution is exceptional (as is the talent necessary to make that possible) – congratulations! The exacting tolerances for the reveal of the inset cabinet door and drawer are super impressive, as are the fit of the exposed, chamfered through tennons and dovetails!

Michael, I think you've been holding out on your fellow Creekers – I hope we get to see lots more of your work in the future.

All the best, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Just finished this cabinet from Michael Pekovich article in FWW. I chose cherry instead of the oak he used. All joinery is by hand on the case and the door. All hand-planed and scraped. His theme for the design is "shadow lines" formed by slight offsetting all joints by about a 16th inch so that there is a feeling of depth even in a small piece like this one.
    To quote a phrase from a younger crowd, this is way cool. I love the shadow lines.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Andrew Hughes;2630987]I still do some handtool work but mostly carvings.I like my machines too much to not use them.Heres some pics i have only because my wife took them.
    A Santa clause in walnut and mermaid letter opener in ebony.
    I hope these qualify.[/QUOT
    E]

Andrew my friend, lucky for us, your lovely Bride had the foresight to take some pictures of your work!

I'm just gonna say - the Walnut Santa Claus (including the seasonally appropriate curving shoe tops!) and the ebony, mermaid letter opener are both awesome! Seriously, who doesn't want a handmade, mermaid shaped object?

As someone with a little time in grade in the USN (albeit way back when); mermaids hold an exalted place in seafaring mythology. In the spirit of Frogmen everywhere, I say "we need more mermaids!" I hope the spirit moves you to help everyone out!

I always look forward to you're posts/pics. Looking me up next time you're in town.

Cheers, Mike,

"The only easy day was yesterday"

Hi Andrew, I love the Santa! Is there going to be something in his hand?

"Derek,

As much as I admire your typical humility, your suggestion that the 3 examples of your work you included above "have been seen too often as part of online builds as to be interesting no longer", made me laugh so hard (in admiration) that I I spit what I consider to be really good whiskey, all over the desk!

I'm just going to come right out with it:: as my 22
    and25 year old Boys would say, "Dude, you've got mad skills!".

Speaking only for myself, your
    bridleplow plane with the highly figured body, brass fittings and contrasting wedge/guide rods (not to mention your multimedia chair and blanket chest projects), are all fantastic, beautiful projects I couldn't approach on my best day. I'm personally grateful for all your posts and I hope you keep them coming!

Best, Mike"

I could not have said it better! That bridle plow plane takes my breath away! Please never feel as if you have shown your work too much!

Tom.

Thanks Mike. Thanks Tom. You are both very kind.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Schneider View Post
    Hi Andrew, I love the Santa! Is there going to be something in his hand?
    Oh yes , a Ebony walking stick. Thanks
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Not all that recent, but at least a contribution - a small Claro Walnut silverware chest with Holly accents. The Claro Walnut was a dream to work with hand tools!

2 - Copy.jpg1 (2).jpg3.jpg

A pair of cocobolo back saws

20 (3).jpg