Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a picture of work made using Hand Tools.

All hand tools, and it shows

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

All my tinker toy projects I have listed here were made CON MANOS !! Even much of the metal ones. I can't machine out a flintlock lock. They are all curved work,filed out.

Somehow my "manage attachments" is not working. I can't get some pictures to post properly.

You guys are showing some real nice work. I'd love to have that applewood plane!! I love applewood!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 12-05-2016 at 8:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work gents! Glad to see this thread growing some legs! Keep it coming.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

This little bench sings to me. What kind of wood? I was given some wood very similar to this many years ago and was told it was either beech or birch (can't remember) from Tennessee. I am not familiar with either and have always wondered. Stuff like the bench are what I like - functional, simple but with refined/useful construction details.
    David

Stunning George! Your work always takes my breath away. I'd not seem those pieces before.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Sometimes I rough out with machines, and sometimes I do not. But once that is done, all it just handwork.

I post these only because others have, but they have been seen too often as part of an on-line builds to be interesting any longer.

Bridle plough plane (one of many planes) ...

Last three pieces of furniture ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just finished this cabinet from Michael Pekovich article in FWW. I chose cherry instead of the oak he used. All joinery is by hand on the case and the door. All hand-planed and scraped. His theme for the design is "shadow lines" formed by slight offsetting all joints by about a 16th inch so that there is a feeling of depth even in a small piece like this one.
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 12-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Very nice, Mike.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    DSCN5687 (Large).jpg
    There are 32 mortise and tenon joints in this chair that were chopped by hand. A bandsaw was used on the rockers.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 12-05-2016 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    You guys are showing some real nice work. I'd love to have that applewood plane!! I love applewood!!
    Indeed lots of fine builds. Thanks for the kind words George.

Lots of talent here. I would like to be as connected as George. It is nice to see someone whose mind can control their hands and eyes to do what it wants. This does not mean to take away anything from others here. I must have some loose connections along those lines. My mind can see it but the hands and eyes won't cooperate
    Jim

Coffin Smoother

Neat thread. Great pieces showing up from everyone.

My most recent shop tool: coffin smoother, Hock double blade, laminated cherry body with ipe boxed sole, 55 degree bed.

Smoother.jpg

Works very well. Used bandsaw to resaw ipe. (Tried it once with a handsaw; took two long, tiring days.)
    Last edited by James Waldron; 12-05-2016 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Tried to delete extra photo; failed. Oh well.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Walnut dresser

I just finished a walnut dresser for one of the kids. The milling was a mix of power and hand tools. The long cuts were done on the table saw and the easy ones with a hand saw/shooting board. Most of the joinery was by hand which included lots of dovetails on case and drawers, plus some M&T for the base. I wasn't ready for the long dadoes yet. The drawer bottoms are held in by slips.

The pulls are walnut glued to aspen from a tree in our yard.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    This little bench sings to me. What kind of wood? I was given some wood very similar to this many years ago and was told it was either beech or birch (can't remember) from Tennessee. I am not familiar with either and have always wondered. Stuff like the bench are what I like - functional, simple but with refined/useful construction details.
    It's some spalted maple I sourced locally. It's actually a step stool I made for a vertically challenged relative.

Last edited by Rob Luter; 12-05-2016 at 1:19 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Ryan,
    That is nice crisp work on the dresser.
    I'm impressed.