Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a picture of work made using Hand Tools.

I can't match the fine work posted here, but just to contribute, here are some pictures of a flip-top standing desk I made for my office. I learned lots making this, and got lots of advice here.

It is based on plans in one of Roy Underhill's books, but redesigned to be a computer-desk that will fit my laptop computer. I'm not sure I got all the proportions right, but it does function for me.

The case is made of spalted maple, which was terribly hard; hard maple is off the list for the next few projects. The legs are a spalted mystery-wood, perhaps hickory. Something about that wood was very destructive to my edges: 2-3 swipes down a leg, and a hock blade was sent back to the stones!

The wood had acclimatized to my house for over a year. I then took the finished desk to my office, and found that the heating system takes it down to around 15% relative humidity.... All my careful joinery and angles went nuts. (I dragged it back home, and it is fine!) I'm still puzzled as to how you pros make furniture that a customer could move into an unknown environment. I suspect this rustic design is not the best.

Thanks for looking!

P1260362.jpg

P1260365.jpg

John, looks great to me. Joinery is nice and tight, at least where it's sitting in the picture. Nice job!

This is my latest project. It has been about a year since I got the log for the project. All from the log except the poplar seat, it was sawn locally and air dried. This is my first Windsor and there are quite a few mistakes. The worst mistake is as i was drilling the comb for the spindles my tape moved and i drilled through the face of the comb. 1 almost done and 3 more to go. I think im going with plain black milk paint finish. All done with hand tools except the lathe work. Here are some pics.

Make a plug for that hole. If you choose the wood for the plug carefully, so that the grain matches, no one will ever notice.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Beautifully done!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Eric-
    That looks fantastic. I dream of this project.

"I suspect this rustic design is not the best"
    John - looks great from where I stand. Elegant design and wood choice.

I am definitely not a hand tool woodworker but I thoroughly enjoyed going through this collection of great work. Of all the projects so far, I think Rob Luter's project is my favorite. It isn't the most sophisticated or challenging design, but I just think it is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I am definitely not a hand tool woodworker but I thoroughly enjoyed going through this collection of great work. Of all the projects so far, I think Rob Luter's project is my favorite. It isn't the most sophisticated or challenging design, but I just think it is beautiful.
    Thanks. I'm a hack compared to most, but I appreciate the kind words.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

11. My largest all hand tool piece. Mahogany, with pine and maple secondary woods. Weighs a ton...

EricArmoire.jpg

Well done, Eric! Beautiful piece.

Now, yet another box ( seems someone here "likes" them so much)
    front view.jpg
    Other than resawing the Cherry boards to 1/2" thick...everything else was by hand tools
    back and side.jpg
    Corners were hand cut. Lid was with a raised panel done with a plane.

Pastor at the wife's church wanted a box for the church's office, so he could hide his stash of candy from all the kids.

A ten drawers chest for my daughter. All hand tools made of cherry. All brass was bought at LeeValley.
    IMG_4883.jpgIMG_4885.jpgIMG_4887.jpg

Nice Norman. What will she store in it? Clothing? Shallow drawers have me curious.
    David