Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

5 Dec 2016
    Good Morning Everyone,
    Well, the kitchen island top glue up is officially over. Now comes the hard part of moving it around, flattening both sides, flipping it over, crating it up, and delivering it to the my friends new house that is still under construction.
    Here is a shot of the butcher block top with me showing out a bit:
    kitchen_island_top_and_me.jpg

I still need to cut to final length and it's already at the final width and really close to the final thickness. I built it as flat as I could with what I had in my shop already. I hope I don't need to take much off of it to get it flat and clean.

Final work and delivery of it this week...providing that the day job doesn't demand too much of my time this week.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Good progress Dennis. I spent Saturday behind the lawnmower and had a brief look through the door of my workshop which needs the reorganisation completed. However with spring finally here, the lawns/hay paddocks need controlling. At least the strawberry patch is bearing well and is good for raiding regularly. Sunday, helping my son and co with moving house. Cheers

I assembled my new Rikon 10-326 bandsaw!

There's light at the end of that (massive) tunnel, Dennis!!

I had a relatively productive weekend...Saturday, took care of the replacement plumbing to fix the hot water supply side to the renovated bathroom that was leaking in the kitchen ceiling. PEX and our good friends at SharkBite made it happen with only minimal repair requirements to the ceiling and not having to remove the cabinet over the refrigerator. (I'll take care of the drywall replacement in those cuts as well as for the powder room ceiling over the holidays)

Once that was all completed I headed out to the shop on Sunday to build a small scale proof of concept model for a dining table I may be helping a friend build for his new house. I needed to validate the method I dreamed up to allow an 8' farm table to accept 2' extensions on each/either end for when he has larger gatherings. (He's a chef by trade) I also installed an Ikea wall cabinet that originally was in the bathroom I renovated into the shop in the single available piece of wall space I had available. That gets my hand planes and related hand tools off a shelf and into a "lower" dust environment. Yea, it's not a "proper" hand tool cabinet, but the cost was right and re-use of things already purchased is important to me. It looks nice and does the job.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My shop has been gathering dust (the regular kind and not anything containing wood fibers) since finishing my bunk bed project. Since then I've been spending my spare time coming up to speed on programming tricks (JavaScript, JQuery, DataTables, REST, etc.) for a new job that I started in August. I've also jumped back onto my bicycle in the hopes of whittling off the extra weight that I've accumulated over the past year--so far (after just 6-weeks), I've only managed to reinvigorate all of the related aches and pains that come with pedaling a cycle (on a stationary trainer) for 45-60 minutes at a shot.

To help me get back into the shop...hopefully before the end of the year...I went ahead and ordered a pattern for a holiday goose display to add to the reindeer "decoys" that I put out on my front lawn as part of the neighborhood holiday display. The pattern should arrive later this week and the two or three geese will hopefully be up over the next weekend.

reindeerInYard.jpg reindeerInYard_zoom.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 12-05-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Normally this thread just reminds me I have accomplished nothing over the weekend -- but today I actually have a small project to share. Kind of a simplified Greene & Greene idea.

I made this table out of scrap construction lumber from under the deck to test the proportions of the design and to practice some joinery. Today I began selecting and preparing some hardwood stock for the "real one.

_WEW0120.jpg

Blog Entries
    I got my press restoration complete and moved to its resting place so the cars can get back into the garage. The rough filter on my water treatment system for the house developed a pinhole leak in the filter housing on Saturday night. I spent this morning tracking down a new housing. All is fixed now, but I was ready to patch it if I had to order one.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
    Normally this thread just reminds me I have accomplished nothing over the weekend -- but today I actually have a small project to share. Kind of a simplified Greene & Greene idea.

I made this table out of scrap construction lumber from under the deck to test the proportions of the design and to practice some joinery. Today I began selecting and preparing some hardwood stock for the "real one.

_WEW0120.jpg
    Wow! That's one nice piece of scrap wood.

Mike: about 4' of 2x10 spruce and an 8' cedar 2x4. (I have 3' left of the 2x10).

A jewelry or pen collection box. Quartersawn sycamore, walnut, and cherry. Oil finish; perhaps needs another coat, and then wax. Just got back from the art supply store with the stuff for outfitting the inside.

DSC_0051.jpg

I bought some Douglas Fir beams that had been installed at the Gooderham and Worts Distillery in Toronto somewhere around 1860.

The beams are old growth, with the trees 150 to 250 years old when cut down.

I've started breaking some down to make hall mirror frames for 3 special people this Christmas.

The timbers were from the barrel house where the spirits were aged, 60,000 barrels could be stored at one time.

When you machine the wood a wonderful aroma of fruit liquor fills the shop, smells very Christmas like.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Apparently they took out 1,000,000 board feet of timber so if you want fancy a trip to Canada I'm sure I left some for you :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rod, I'm really jealous of that beautiful old d-fir!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...