Thread: Air drying lumber in a crawl space?

Air drying lumber in a crawl space?

Can I properly air dry lumber in a Crawl space that is treated with conditioned air if I run a good dehumidifier? Concerned about getting the lumber to dry too fast and also concerned about putting too much moisture into the house.

Thoughts? This is the only place I have available to dry lumber.

Is it an earthen floor? If so I'd be concerned about critters like woodworm, powder post beetles, etc. You'll want to spray the wood with a borax or similar preventative solution, and sticker it as high off the floor as possible. A vapor barrier under the pile couldn't hurt either. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold E Schnitzer View Post
    Is it an earthen floor? If so I'd be concerned about critters like woodworm, powder post beetles, etc. You'll want to spray the wood with a borax or similar preventative solution, and sticker it as high off the floor as possible. A vapor barrier under the pile couldn't hurt either. Good luck.
    It is a modern house with about 4 inches of gravel and then plastic over that for a vapor barrier.

I have some 6 x 6 lumber I could put underneath it. Was mostly concerned that the wood would dry too rapidly being indoors like that. Thanks for the reply!

I think you have a valid concern about it drying too fast. You want relatively high RH at the beginning of the drying cycle and you'll get defects if the RH is too low for too long. I think you'd be better off racking the wood outside, with a roof on it, so the breezes can circulate through it and the RH can cycle up and down .

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I think you have a valid concern about it drying too fast. You want relatively high RH at the beginning of the drying cycle and you'll get defects if the RH is too low for too long. I think you'd be better off racking the wood outside, with a roof on it, so the breezes can circulate through it and the RH can cycle up and down .

John
    That was kind of my thought, but I live in a subdivision with a HOA so this might not work out well.

Can you have an outdoor shed? That could work if you open the windows/doors to let air flow through the stack, while still hiding the wood from the HOA enforcers.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Can you have an outdoor shed? That could work if you open the windows/doors to let air flow through the stack, while still hiding the wood from the HOA enforcers.

John
    They just allowed sheds to be built, methinks that will be one of my next investments. I do a lot of hand tool work, and air dried wood works just a little bit better with hand tools I have found.

If you can build a shed with metal roofing and sidewalls, it might benefit your wood. I have trouble getting ppb in my air dried lumber, and putting it in a metal covered building helps, as in summer the building gets hot inside. Hot enough to kill the bugs.

Not sure what part of the country you live in, but crawlspaces are usually places of high humidity and moisture. Maybe it is because of the area where I live (eastern NC) where ground moisture is always a concern. A plastic vapor barrier on the ground will slow moisture transfer, but after a while the wood will begin to equalize with the surrounding atmosphere. You will still have to bring the wood into the shop to acclimate before making that heirloom furniture piece. If you have the space I would suggest an outdoor location, properly-made foundation, stickers and cover the stack to allow rain and snow to run off. Good luck and watch those fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Not sure what part of the country you live in, but crawlspaces are usually places of high humidity and moisture. Maybe it is because of the area where I live (eastern NC) where ground moisture is always a concern. A plastic vapor barrier on the ground will slow moisture transfer, but after a while the wood will begin to equalize with the surrounding atmosphere. You will still have to bring the wood into the shop to acclimate before making that heirloom furniture piece. If you have the space I would suggest an outdoor location, properly-made foundation, stickers and cover the stack to allow rain and snow to run off. Good luck and watch those fingers.
    Amazing that I still have all ten...