Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Tool Return Question

Craftsman Tool Return Question

I've recently bought an Craftsman Miter Box Saw that is about 10 years old and sold for about $60 new. After searching on the Parts site and visiting the store, the blade for that saw is no longer available and there is no recommended replacement! I can't believe that there is no blade any longer made for this saw. The tool dept guy just blew me off when I asked what the store or Sears would do for me. I finally got to see an Asst. store manager and I'm waiting to hear back from her, but she did agree that I had a point about expecting to be able to buy a blade for it.
    My question is, am I being unreasonable to expect some type of compensation and what would be reasonable. I know I bought it used but it was a Craftsman saw and I felt sure I could parts for it!!

Are you saying you bought a used saw and expect Sears to compensate you because it is obsolete??????

Hell, half the Delta parts I need are no longer available. Maybe I should sue.....

Yep, sort of! I didn't buy the saw with intentions of trying to screw Sears but I bought it thinking that because it was a Craftsmen that blades would not be obsolete. This tool is a high end miter box saw that you would expect to last a life time.
    Delta does not give a life time satisfaction sales pitch.

Neither is sears on any electrical equipment. To be honest, I think your thought is flawed. It was a used tool and you took your chances.

Blog Entries
    Sears is not as good as they used to be on parts. I needed a motor for my TS and it was no longer available. Good news is I now have a Grizzly TS. If you were the original owner I would back your beef. On a used tool it's pretty iffy. I can see your point but....... As to the other comment, it sounds like it's not an electric tool.

Quote Originally Posted by "Gary Smith" View Post
    I've recently bought a Miter Box Saw that is about 10 years old. ...the blade for that saw is no longer available...am I being unreasonable to expect some type of compensation.
    yes, I think you're being unreasonable to expect a retailer to reimburse for a 10 YO used anything.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-14-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

What is so special about the blade? I would think there are lots of blades that would work unless I'm missing something. Blades are a replaceable, disposable, resharpenable item made by all sorts of companies. 60 bucks is a high end miter box tool? I'd think the blade would cost that much.
    Last edited by Paul Atkins; 04-15-2010 at 1:14 AM. Reason: more thoughts

Gary, $60 doesn't seem like a big loss, you got 10 years of service. Sears used to be great on parts for old Sears equipment, and that was a factor in many buying decisions. (I think maybe some of the younger guys here might not remember how good Sears was about parts.) Anyway, you're beat (IMO) and the next time you make a buying decision Sears will probably lose business.

Gary - I saw the pic in your other post. Would a hacksaw blade, modified a little, work?

As far as wanting Sears to do something for the customer, I'd say good luck. It is a handtool though, and those are supposed to be guaranteed forever. I don't see the asst. mgr coming through for you, but good luck anyway!

Is it this type of saw?

Surely someone makes blades for those.

http://www.amazon.com/68022-Miter-re...ref=pd_cp_hi_1

The "Old Gray Mare" ain't what she used to be. I am surprised that a replacement blade isn't available for the saw. Sears may not carry the replacement but tools made for Sears, in many cases, were made by other major tool manufacturers and there is a good possibility that if it is researched a blade can be found. As far as Sears honoring the tool guarantee, the guarantee does not include consumables like saw blades.
    One of the major reasons for my purchasing Craftsman power tools etc. was the manuals that came with the tools and the ability to get repair parts in the future when parts broke or wore out. I still have many Craftsman Commercial power tools in my shop that are still working great even though they are close to 30 years old. I no longer buy any brand name Craftsman power equipment because of the lack of replacement parts. The same applies to Delta power equipment.
    David B

Gary,

Can you "reverse engineer" the part that's needed (just figure out the dimensions and specifications), and then look elsewhere for a replacement ?

There are about 0.8 MILLION different sources for things like this. If I were going to wager, I'd wager that you CAN find a suitable replacement, online.

Good luck!

Other blade choice:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....TNUMBER=20-809

Is it possible to sharpen the blade by hand ?

Despite the 'life time warranty' thing, which we all know is a bit like an insurance policy, you have to read the small print, you're asking a bit much here.

Forget about sears lately. I have alwas bought my tools from them for the past 20 years becasue of the warntee not the best but fine for me. I also had people buy me gifts from there because they alwas took them back. In the past years without question now:

They stopped taking things back with out a recept, or depends on who you talk to, they use to charge a restocking fee that is ok but I am now stuck with a bunch of presents I don't need and can't exchange for something usefull.

Twice they have refules to warntee a hand tool because the kid behind the counter didn't know they had a lifetime warntee, (what are you doing working in sears?).

The kicker for me is I went to buy a couple of there pro box wrench sets in metric the $100-$250 dollar sets and I can't even buy a compleat set anymore. I wanted the top of the line 4mm through 22mm or close to that range in metric wrences the nice polished ones with or without ratchets. THEY NO LONGER MAKE A COMPLEAT SET! EVERYTHING NOW GOSES 8,10,12,13,14,15MM ETC, THEY SKIP SIZES! I guess 9mm bolts on all my bikes don't exsist anymore.

Can someone explain this to me. If I botch one of my pro wrenches in a size they don't make I am screwed. They can't even warntee a simple 9mm box wrench anymore.

Good luck on the saw
    -=Jason=-

Jason, sure this one doesn't work?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...etric+tool+set