Thread: SCM Edgebander

SCM Edgebander

Hi guys.

Thanks so much to all those who make this form possible and the helps and answers it brings to everyone!

Quick question for you. I’m in the process of starting up my own Custom Cabinet Shop in Ontario.

I’ve got a guy about 3 hours away selling a Minimax ME25 Edgebander.

He isn’t sure if it’s a single or 3 phase (my shop is limited to single). He sent me a picture of the manufacture plate and it actually says 2 phase which is really throwing me for a loop

220 Volt, 2 Phase, 36 Amp and 60 Hz

Now I know it’s not 2 phase but is there any way of knowing from that info. I’d post the pic but not sure how.

Does anyone know if they were even available in single phase? Is a 2011

Thanks so much in advance!

We actually have the same SCM ME25 in our shop. We purchased it about a year and a half ago. It's a 220v single phase. I am not sure of the breaker size as I'm finally taking a day off work.

It's been a decent machine for a small production shop. We are looking at upgrading ours due to it can't keep up with our current work flow. Make sure you have plenty of air going to the machine. We're using a 60 gallon dedicated compressor and it works but you do have to on occasion let the compressor catch up.

I am not even sure if they make that model in a 3 phase.

Bill

Thanks so much Bill.

Really appreciate the message. As it’s a new company it will just be myself, maybe one other some days. I’ve got a 5HP 80 gallon so hopefully that will be suffice.

From what you know of your machine, any specific things you suggest having a good look at for a used ME25?

thanks again for your input.

Chris.

Definitely have him run some stock for you. We typically run 1mm PVC as we do melamine casework. I've never been able to get the scrapers adjusted correctly on ours so we do have some filing to do. The 80 gallon compressor would work great. We use a toilet paper filter to keep water out and it works marginally. It does use glue pellets and not a glue block. We keep the temperature of the glue around 195-200 and it seems to work perfect at the temp. If your doing wood tape the scrapers tend to tear the tape so we just apply and file wood tape. SCM has a good parts department. When you install new tape make sure you shut the machine down as the feeder automatically turns when at active temperature and the tape can roll through the feeder. There is a cast little fence that we broke on ours by having the continue to roll around the feeder. Had to have it Fed ex from Italy. Was a 200 dollars mistake but cost us a few days. Won't let that happen again. Always have your vac hooked up. We have a 2hp grizzly dedicated to it and it works fine. We use natural glue. We get out tape from Charter Industries and they ship the same day as you order. You can get replacement Edge trimmer, scrapers and cutters from SCM if the ones on the machine are dull. We do set the edge trimmer depth to about 1.5 times the thickness of the tape. The minimum width of a part is around 3 inches so if your edge banding nailers I edge both sides then cut them down to 1-1/2". Another thing is your parts must be very straight. We get better results running parts off our sliding table saw verse our saw stop.

It takes around 20 minutes to heat up and will go to an energy savings mode if you don't use it for a while. Then about 10 or so to heat back up and ready to use. Even with the additional filling it beats the heck out of hand apply any day of the week.

I would purchase again. Although I wish I had the SCM set it up but that was a 2 grand additional. Ouch. A one man shop is perfect but once again make sure your parts are straight. I like to do shorter parts instead of full 8 foot then cutting to length. If there's any deviation in your cut the glue will not apply in that area.

https://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthr...E25-Edgebamder

Check Erik's comments regarding used edgebanders in the second post.