Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salmen Master Oil Stone.

Salmen Master Oil Stone.

Another stone I recently purchased from the U.K. (Most likely the last honing stone I am going to purchase.)

The top surface of the stone showed no obvious signs to its origin.

But the underside was quite different, and the primary reason I chose to bid on this stone. The grain pattern indicated a natural stone, and not a man made stone.

Flat sanding with 220, followed by 400 grit w & d, highlighted it as being a quick release slurry stone, of a soft to medium hardness. The swirly grain pattern was now much more obvious to see after a light spray of water.

The next photo shows the sedimentary layering within the stones side grain.

Additional information;

Dimensions; 20.1 cm x 5.3 cm x 2.5 cm. (266 cm3)

Weight; 740 grams.

Specific Gravity (SF) = 2.78

Conclusion; the stone appears to be a highly featured Scotch Dalmore Blue. Possibly better suited to water as a lubricant than thin oil. A quick release slurry stone, suggesting a fast cutting stone. A high range in SF, indicating a large % of fine particles within its make up.

I would rate this as a high value/ high quality honing stone, purchased at a remarkably cheap price.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 12-06-2016 at 2:27 AM.

You're starting to become an expert! I really like how this stone looks. Would be nice for my bathroom floor...

Hi Kees; I have no intention of wanting to be any expert on natural honing stone identity. Its too contentious a subject.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 12-06-2016 at 3:22 AM.

Yes it is a very broad subject. I quickly let go after purchasing a few arkansas stones. I usually get a bit light in my head when reading discussions about Japanese natural waterstones for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    You're starting to become an expert! I really like how this stone looks. Would be nice for my bathroom floor...
    Your family might get upset, though, when they couldn't get in the bathroom because you were sharpening all your chisels and plane irons.

That is a really lovely stone. Too bad the company selling it didn't know how to spell "salmon."
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 12-06-2016 at 1:38 PM.

Agree it's Dalmore Blue Scottish stone. Used often before Water Of Ayr. They were sometimes sold as back to back stone.
    And there is a Dalmore Yellow coarser stone.

imo; a good quality natural sharpening stone is one that will shows signs of releasing a natural cutting slurry. Any stone that is within the higher range of hardness, that show no signs of releasing a cutting slurry is of limited value to the woodworker, and does require the use of an independent slurry stone to enhance its rate of cut. In other words, there can be clear differences between the needs of woodworker, and that of a straight razor user.

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    imo; a good quality natural sharpening stone is one that will shows signs of releasing a natural cutting slurry. Any stone that is within the higher range of hardness, that show no signs of releasing a cutting slurry is of limited value to the woodworker, and does require the use of an independent slurry stone to enhance its rate of cut. In other words, there can be clear differences between the needs of woodworker, and that of a straight razor user.

Stewie;
    I have used Arkansas stones for chisels, plane irons, carving tools, and straight razors for forty years. I have never used a slurry stone for any operation. What is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Another stone I recently purchased from the U.K. (Most likely the last honing stone I am going to purchase.)
    I doubt very much that you're capable of stopping. Come on, just one more.... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I have used Arkansas stones for chisels, plane irons, carving tools, and straight razors for forty years. I have never used a slurry stone for any operation. What is the problem?
    Warren; I was unimpressed with the performance of the J.Smith Ark I recently posted. I am going to bleed this stone of any trace of oil, and trial it with water as a lubricant.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 12-06-2016 at 9:18 PM.

The process of cleansing the Arkansas stone of oil has started. Boiling hot water and 2 dishwasher power balls.

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 12-06-2016 at 10:03 PM.

After 1 hr, the dishwasher power balls have lost their effectiveness within the oil cleansing process. The following photo shows the oil residue that's already released from the stone.

The process needs to be repeated again to further rid the stone of oil. The contaminated water has to be emptied out, cleaned out with dishwasher detergent, and refilled with boiling hot water, ready for 2 fresh dishwasher power balls.

To slow down the loss of temperature within the water, seal the top of the container. Check again in 1 hrs time. Note any further loss of oil from the stone via the appearance of the water. Repeat a 3rd time if its deemed necessary.

I will supply some later feedback on the results of testing the oil free Arkansas stone with water as the lubricant.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 12-06-2016 at 11:10 PM.

Stupid question - What happens if you leave the stone (and the soap) in a continuously simmering pot? Bring it up to a boil then back it off some to sort of control things. Duck and run? End of Times? Nuclear?
    David

An update on the oil cleansing process. I noticed that some oil had been trapped on the underside of the stone during the 2nd round.
    I opted for a 3rd round lasting only 30 min, this time making sure that I gently lifted the stone from side to side within its water bath to allow the loose oil to rise to the top of the water.

A few important comments to add; if the stone is not Novaculite within its structure, it may not survive without cracking after being submerged in boiling water. That being the case, it would be better to lower the temp of water. Also, make sure that the bottom of the stone be raised slightly above the bottom of the container to allow the water bath to better penetrate all sides of the stone. A couple of short brass or stainless steel rods would do the trick. Rinse the stone in fresh clean water and dry at the end of the cleansing process.

The following photos shows the stones colour change after completing the oil cleansing process.

After the 1st bath;

After the 3rd and final bath;

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 12-07-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Hi Stewie, Thanks for taking the time to post this. I have a few estate sale stones that I might try this with.

Tom.