Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Analysis Paralysis - CURED

Congratulations! I never considered that saw and didn't realize the Hitachi is not in production any more. I like my DeWalt track saw and sanders, I don't see anything wrong with the brand.

Jim,

Only the original version Hitachi C12RSH isn't in production. The new version Hitachi C12RSH2 is in production but things have changed. On the C12RSH2 they removed the micro-adjustment knobs for the bevel and miter cuts and changed the base arrangement.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    My old Delta sliding compound miter saw finally gave up the ghost. My wife gave me a budget and said buy it for my Christmas present. Initially I determined I wanted a Hitachi C12RSH for a replacement but...they aren't manufactured anymore. Though one retailer advertises they have less than 20 new ones in stock but they shipped me a Hitachi C12RSH2 which isn't what I ordered or wanted. So I returned it without even opening the box.

Now the analysis paralysis. I looked aa a couple dozen reviews, read the information about the products at the manufacturer's website and even went to the local HD to dry fire a couple models.

In the end it came down to two saws would meet my needs and they both showed in stock at my local HD. The two saws were the Bosch GCM12SD and the Dewalt DWS780.

Online both saws were the same price delivered to my home. At the local HD, the Bosch was $50 more but the Dewalt DWS780 was the same as the online price. Last night I drove to my local HD and tested both saws side-by-side. In the end I paid sales tax and brought my first major Dewalt tool home. I chose it over the Bosch for several reasons, 1) I just wasn't comfortable having to use the safety switch on the Bosch every time I wanted to start the saw. It may get easier to use after some normal use but it wasn't that convenient. 2) The Bosch just had more lateral movement in it's action than the Dewalt, noticeably more movement. 3) I wanted to try out that light/shadow system to see if it's as accurate as many reviewers claim.

A lot of the reviews I read indicated the early Dewalt 780's had rough movement issues in the slide. There was none that I could experience in the display model or in the one I took out of the box in my shop last night.

Last week when I thought I was going to have a Hitachi 12" in the shop, I ordered a 12" blade from Infinity. It is supposed to deliver today. With the cost of a good blade I exceeded my wife's budget. She's normally very forgiving. I did give up the idea of a new miter stand for now but I think I know which one I want when I get into 2017's tool budget. LOL!
    This morning I will begin removing the old Delta and installing the new Dewalt on my existing miter stand. I will probably play around with using my shop vac and my DC on it to see which gives me the best results for dust collection.

Enjoy, my Dewalt compound Miter saw has given me a decade of faithful service, with nary an issue....

Blog Entries
    Hi Ken,

My old Dewalt 12" chop saw survived for around 20 years cutting untold amounts of lumber, building a 60x30' 2 story building, finishing a basement....The Depot was running a special on the DWS 780 and a work stand. I could not resist a total solution that saved me having to build a tool cabinet/stand, at least for a while. I am in the process of moving to N GA and a mobile but stable package with wheels was very attractive. I have the new saw and stand together. This PM I will be zeroing all the adjustments. I found the tolerances and light over the blade very attractive too, having compared the same two saws side by side. Later I will start processing the lumber for my new bench, and several other projects.... 8/4 x 8-10" European Beech, Ash and South American "Mahogany" should test the new saws abilities.
    I am happy with my purchase and hope you are too.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 06-10-2017 at 2:58 PM.

Ken,
    About 6 years ago I bought the DWS780 with the roller stand (everyone needs 4 chop saws, right?). I have been very happy with it but be warned it took a lot of work to get it squared up. Once tuned properly it has stayed true and I have been pleased with its performance. The "Shadow Knows"!
    Regards - Bill

20 years ago I got the 8 1/2" Hitachi slider, awesome saw and I still have it. Since I like that so much and I needed to upgrade to a larger blade saw for the shop I picked up the C12RSH without even trying it out. Saw is sub par in a lot of respects. It's relegated to rough cutting in my shop now.

I bought the Bosch Axial Glide saw and it's been a great saw after I tuned it in. Out of the box the tune sucked. Now it's dead nuts and I can do a lot of things that I couldn't do with the Hitachi. I'm more than pleased with the Bosch.

Ken,

If you haven't done so yet, you might consider the Colliflower Zero Clearance Insert for your DWS780. These are also available from Infinity Tools, Item 100-333, but I bought mine from Colliflower since it was on continuous backorder from Infinity Tools.

The stock DWS780 insert is two pieces and is adjustable, but I was still seeing tear out. After installing the Colliflower insert, the tear out is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    Ken,

If you haven't done so yet, you might consider the Colliflower Zero Clearance Insert for your DWS780. These are also available from Infinity Tools, Item 100-333, but I bought mine from Colliflower since it was on continuous backorder from Infinity Tools.

The stock DWS780 insert is two pieces and is adjustable, but I was still seeing tear out. After installing the Colliflower insert, the tear out is gone.
    If you do any amount of bevel and compound bevel cuts an insert is gonna get chewed up. That Colliflower looks nice but I'd have to be making 10 inserts at a time to take with me. Best method with a SCMS to not get tear-out: score the top of piece then "slide out" and cut through the material at full depth. If you have material so wide that you cannot get the blade out past it's width, I use a scrap board underneath. YMMV

I like that Colliflower site. Seems anything he/she owns - they will make quality replacement parts/accessories for it.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    If you do any amount of bevel and compound bevel cuts an insert is gonna get chewed up. That Colliflower looks nice but I'd have to be making 10 inserts at a time to take with me.
    I have simple needs, but bought two packs of the replacement inserts (eight total) just in case. So far, all I have needed are the 90 and two 45-degree cuts.