Thread: 3D printers to make lathe accessories

3D printers to make lathe accessories

I just read the article in the latest American Woodturner about using a 3d printer "Custom Lathe Accessories from a 3D printer".

I was curious if any of you have used a 3D printer for that purpose. If so, what did you make and how did it work out?

Thanks,
    Michael

Sort of related: My Shopsmith had a power accessory drive coupling that failed. I found online a 3D file to make one, and had the Model Shop print one in solid plastic. It worked , OK, but failed recently, so they printed a new one of denser plastic. Works for now.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Not much for lathe accessories yet, but a number of other useful shop items. File handles for saw files out of a more rubbery, tough ink for instance. I printed a small drill press vise out of solid ABS plastic that has worked out fine for light duty work holding. Actually useful at the lathe now that I think of it, I did print a center finder and a go/no go gauge for the right size of recess for my standard chuck jaws. You have to be realistic about the properties of the materials your printing with, but alot of handy items can be printed. Currently I'm printing a new larger 3d printer.

Jon

What is suggested as a entry level 3D Printer?

Thanks

That depends on how entry level you mean. If you're new to 3d printers and just want simple right out of the box printing there are models like our first one the M3D that are very user friendly, nearly normal desktop (2d) printer simple. But those can be limited, by size (M3D is pretty tiny, basically 4.5" cube maximum print size, but they do have a new larger one coming out) and more importantly to me because I'm a huge tech geek, limited in options. Fewer of the available ink types can be printed with it, and alot of variables can't be controlled at least with their stock software (note that you can run it with other free software but it's basically on you to figure out all the settings etc).

The next step up is something like a Makerbot, or Da Vinci. Generally larger and more features and upgrade options down the road, also more expensive. There's a variety of different designs, sizes and features available. Look around online and watch some videos, Delta style printers are particularly fun to watch print but they are all pretty cool if you're into it. I think these are kind of the sweet spot if you are fairly handy with simple electronic stuff and figuring out software. Not as out of the box simple but usually alot more you can do, wider assortment of ink types, more customization, etc.

Or if you're out of your mind you can go the route I did which is building our second significantly larger one, partially from a kit and partially specced out on my own. Currently working but needs alot of calibration yet. From one of the kits that are available the mechanical assembly is actually pretty straight forward, if you liked the erector sets when you were a kid you'll have fun building it. Electrical can be a little spotty depending on the kit or if you decide to get adventurous and get electronics separately. But from an electrical engineering standpoint it's entry level stuff, not really bad at all. My wife, who is honestly one of the smartest, most technologically sophisticated people I know looked at me like I was loco when I told her my plans for the new one. That said I've been doing electro-mechanical installation, troubleshooting and repair for 20 years, so your mileage may vary. But really, if you look over some kits and tutorials and aren't drawing a complete blank, you'll probably be fine, just take longer getting it running really well.

The advantages to going this way are 2 fold. 1- The base printer I'm working on would be between $1600 and $2500 as a pre-built machine depending on brand and options. I'm in 300 bucks right now. The second thing is that while with alot of the pre-built machines you can add options either when you buy or after the fact, for instance a second nozzle to print with 2 different colors or even 2 different materials at the same time. With a built it your self kit, and even more so if you are willing to custom build the sky's the limit. I currently just have 1 nozzle on it while I'm getting it calibrated, but I already have the second one to add on. And I have it built so I can technically set up to 4 separate nozzles on it without having to do anything but add the associated nozzles and set it up in software. Or if I want to make it larger I can buy longer extrusions and belts (or lead screws) and reprogram the controllers to run the now larger machine. Granted alot more homework and the programming and calibrations can be pretty involved, especially when your only in the same zip code as the machine 1 or 2 days a week.

A couple thoughts after glancing back over the post. Geez that was more than you asked, sorry for the novel. And 2 you might be amused to notice that 99% of my posts are in the neanderthal forum here, which other than the lathe is how I do woodworking now a days. And then you can appreciate my wife giving me the loco look a little more. I think I'm gonna go either calibrate an axis on the machine or sharpen a plane blade, heh. And just for giggles, here's a picture. The little M3D is front right with a couple of spools of ink above it. The at the time partially built new one is behind and to the left. Hard to tell from the picture but the maximum print size on the new one is about 8"Wx12"Dx 10"H
    14379974_848365535298594_3809717155035525108_o.jpg

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shank; 12-07-2016 at 6:09 PM.

The Home Machinist had an article about 3D printers today. I did not watch this so take it for whatever. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/?s=3D+Printer