Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Costco LED shop lights - $19.99

I bought 5 lights from Costco. Thanks for the heads up. I think I will start replacing some old original fluorescent fixtures. I added one LED fixture from HD over a year ago above my workbench and it has been great. My wife and I think it is better light than my old fluorescent fixtures which are still running in the shop. My shop is small out behind my house.

2. Costco doesn't seem to be carrying them any longer. None in my local store and can't find them online at their site. Half my shop has them and now I need to look for something different. Everything I'm seeing is more around $50/fixture and for the most part 5000k instead of 4000k. On the plus side the 5000k are 4800lm instead of 3800 lm. What's the general thought on 5000k vs 4000k? Too white or not?

I know there are quite a few people that prefer 5000k for workshops.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Baumgartner2 View Post
    Costco doesn't seem to be carrying them any longer. None in my local store and can't find them online at their site. Half my shop has them and now I need to look for something different. Everything I'm seeing is more around $50/fixture and for the most part 5000k instead of 4000k. On the plus side the 5000k are 4800lm instead of 3800 lm. What's the general thought on 5000k vs 4000k? Too white or not?
    Costco does have the replacement tubes available online, so you can use inexpensive T12 fixtures.

http://www.costco.com/Feit-4-FT-LED-...100235288.html

I suspect they have run out of stock on the assemblies and it's somewhat normal for them to cycle like this. It happens all the time with many products. Feit Electric is also available from other sources...Google is your friend.

On the color temperature, I'm very much liking the 4100K color temp. 5000K gets too close to "blue" for me. 4100K feels more natural.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

5. Hmmmm, wonder how a mix of the two will be? I've got 4 of the Feit 4000k fixtures up but need to put in 8 more fixtures.

Personally, I'd try to stick with similar color temp across the whole installation. I say this because before I made my conversion to LED, I was using a mixture (didn't know any better way back when... ) and it got wonky sometimes, especially during finishing. I'd rather have more light of the same temp than any kind of color mixture.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Personally, I'd try to stick with similar color temp across the whole installation. I say this because before I made my conversion to LED, I was using a mixture (didn't know any better way back when... ) and it got wonky sometimes, especially during finishing. I'd rather have more light of the same temp than any kind of color mixture.
    This holds true even with fluorescent, IMO. I have a mixture in my shop of different color temps because the originals were no longer available at my local HD. It really gets difficult when finishing!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Anyone else notice that one of the tubes in the Feit LED fixtures continues too glow (a few LEDs at very low power) when you switch them off using only the chain. I tried measuring the power consumption in this 'sleep' mode for 4 lights and it is smaller than the resolution of my measurement equipment, probably < 0.1 watt per fixture. But in total darkness I can see one of the tubes in each fixture.
    Mark McFarlane

All the ceiling outlets are on switched electrical, Mark, so I never even installed the chains...
    --

Costco does have the replacement tubes available online, so you can use inexpensive T12 fixtures.

http://www.costco.com/Feit-4-FT-LED-...100235288.html
    I got 14 of these in 2-packs at the local Costco and retrofitted my 15 year old cheap T12 garage shop lights; it made an amazing difference. I probably could have converted them to T8 and had about the same result but that would have involved new ballasts, and the Costco lights were plug-n-play.

24 Costco LED lights for my shop. Great lighting.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I got 14 of these in 2-packs at the local Costco and retrofitted my 15 year old cheap T12 garage shop lights; it made an amazing difference. I probably could have converted them to T8 and had about the same result but that would have involved new ballasts, and the Costco lights were plug-n-play.
    I thought I read somewhere that led do not need the ballasts. Does T12 and T8 both have ballast? I've got all T8s in my barn, but I bought them as cheap as I could, and I'm starting to see some of them go out.

Did I miss this or does anyone know if it's still going? We were talking of joining Costco. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cummins View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that led do not need the ballasts. Does T12 and T8 both have ballast? I've got all T8s in my barn, but I bought them as cheap as I could, and I'm starting to see some of them go out.
    The LED "conversion tubes" can go in the fixtures without removing the ballasts. There are other LED "tubes" available that can be direct wired. The latter cost a little less, but you have to physically modify the fixture to change them to direct wire. The "conversion" tubes are plug-n-play and can work nicely in inexpensive fixtures...and they are "instant on", even in low temps.
    --

The LED "conversion tubes" can go in the fixtures without removing the ballasts. There are other LED "tubes" available that can be direct wired. The latter cost a little less, but you have to physically modify the fixture to change them to direct wire. The "conversion" tubes are plug-n-play and can work nicely in inexpensive fixtures...and they are "instant on", even in low temps.
    Yes, and that's why I went with them. We are selling the house in a few months and I needed a relatively cheap, QUICK upgrade to the garage lighting and they worked great.