Thread: Workbench Vise

Workbench Vise

Hello all. I have lurked the forums for some time and finally registered. Any guidance on my situation is greatly appreciated. I am a hobbyist and like most have all my equipment in my garage. I build a torsion top work bench and instantly regretted not doing more research and building a Roubo style workbench. The top is build with 3/4 mdf and topped with replaceable hardboard. I want to get more into doing mortise and tenon joinery and some hand planing and hand tools in general. Unfortunately, I do not have a workbench with a vise or dog holes and am looking for guidance on the best way to add them to my current bench pictured below. Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated. Building a new one is not an option at this time. To many projects lined up that need to get done.

P.S. I know its a mess. All that stuff has a place I was just to lazy to move it before taking pictures.
    image1.jpg image2.jpg

Take a look at Moxon vise from Benchcrafted. You could clamp to your existing bench top.

Thanks Malcolm. I looked at benchcrafted and must have over looked that one. That would actually work perfect I think. Correct me if I am wrong but, the way that one is designed I could retrofit it on without much modifications. I do want it to be a permanent piece of the workbench rather than a clamp on.

Any downfall to dog holes in 3/4 mdf with a hard board top?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Alphonso View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but, the way that one is designed I could retrofit it on without much modifications. I do want it to be a permanent piece of the workbench rather than a clamp on.
    I was thinking it would be best if it was clamped on, much like the last pair of photos on BC's website for the Moxon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Alphonso View Post
    Any downfall to dog holes in 3/4 mdf with a hard board top?
    My gut-feeling is that side-loads on the dogs will over-stress the MDF (caveat: I've never tried this in MDF). My only experience is that MDF doesn't deal with 'point loads' very well, especially on the edges - - like dropping a corner of a MDF jig on the floor. The MDF just crushes. However, please factor in that I know nothing about your bench contruction, work habits, clamping requirements, or preference in fermented beverages. In short, I don't know much at all!

I know I will eventually make a new bench to fit my future needs and aspirations as a wannabe wood worker. I will hold off the dog holes until then. Ultimately, it would be more pain than is worth on this bench. As for the vise, I think I will go the clamp down method as you suggested and then I would have a portable vise for the future. Thanks Malcolm.