Thread: Thompson Tool Handles - Bushing to convert 5/8 nose to 1/2?

Thompson Tool Handles - Bushing to convert 5/8 nose to 1/2?

Hey guys,
    I have an extra Thompson handle sitting around that I would like to put to use, problem is it has a 5/8 nose and I want to use it for a 1/2 gouge. I don't see bushings/adaptors on his site. I know that several other handle makers make the bushings, but not sure if they're compatable with Thompson? I actually have a DWay 2/1 to 3/8 bushing, and it looks like the holes don't quite line up with the grub screw holes on the Thompson handle. Thought perhaps one of you out there might know.

PS - I did try to call Doug already, but sounds like he's away at the moment :-)

Great question, that reminds me I have a 3/4" Master of his that I wanted to find an adapter to also use it for some 5/8" scrapers and gouges. If I recall correctly, I had the same issue as you, where another well known turner's adapters I had on hand were not compatible.

A traditional hardware store probably has motor shaft bushings. 1/2" to 5/8" by 2" long is a common size which allows use of larger pulleys on the 1/2" shaft typical on fractional horsepower motors at or under 1/2 hp. Might find 'em at the blue or orange big box, but I'd start at a mom&pop store, then try a drive&bearing store.

BobV

The Robert Sorby handles have a 5/8" starting hole/nose. https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Sorby-.../dp/B004IKOOIW Take a look at this. Good luck.

Thanks for the ideas - guess I was hoping someone out there had first hand experience with an adaptor that worked? May just have to wait until I hear back from Doug.

Jeff,
    If you look at the Sorby step down bushing you see that these are easy to make yourself.

Just thought I'd share what I learned in case someone has this same question in the future: The Trent Bosch 5/8 to 1/2 Bushings work perfectly in Thompson handles.

+1 for trent bosh bushing, excellent quality & work great.