Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure why my post was deleted

Not sure why my post was deleted

Can someone please tell me if you are allowed to post a YouTube link for feedback. And if so under which forum. I have seen others post it under general woodworking, but mine has vanished...thanks

I'm not a mod but it sure stunk of advertising, especially as your first post.

Have you read the rules? It surely mentions this type of thing.

Jason,

Send a PM one of the Moderators listed for the forum in which your removed post was posted. Usually they will respond.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    As a moderator on a different forum it is a simple courtesy to send a message to anyone whose post has been removed, blocked or locked as to why an action was taken.

That courtesy seems to be at the discretion of the moderator here on SMC, it would be a good standard operating procedure.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post

I can definitely see that. But I have been on here plenty just reading for the past 6 years. I was just excited to show this and yes it would have been my first post

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post

Also I looked everywhere for rules...the closet thing I found was faq and it says nothing on this.

Jason,

While it may have been your first post, if as Matt says it was blatant advertising, that is probably why it was removed.

Jim,

While a PM might be a courtesy, reading and obeying the TOSs should be too!
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by jason rodrigue View Post
    Also I looked everywhere for rules...the closet thing I found was faq and it says nothing on this.
    Jason,

"Terms Of Service" at the bottom of every page including this lists the rules.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Jason,

"Terms Of Service" at the bottom of every page including this lists the rules.
    Thanks! I honestly didn't even see that. Well I was just looking for feedback on my video. In no way was I advertising anything...especially not myself.. thanks for your help

Blog Entries
    Jim,

While a PM might be a courtesy, reading and obeying the TOSs should be too!
    Yes, I have read the TOS. However not for a few years. Many are confused about posting a disallowed link to the point of being afraid to post any link.

Besides, how often do most people read the full instruction/rule book for anything?

IMO if a moderator can take the time to kill a post, they should have enough time to write a quick note to the original poster. It would save a lot of pixels in cases like this.

A recent post of mine was removed, not because of my original content but the unacceptable reactions of some other members. Fortunately the moderator did take the time to let me know the reason for its removal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, I have read the TOS. However not for a few years. Many are confused about posting a disallowed link to the point of being afraid to post any link.

Besides, how often do most people read the full instruction/rule book for anything?

IMO if a moderator can take the time to kill a post, they should have enough time to write a quick note to the original poster. It would save a lot of pixels in cases like this.

A recent post of mine was removed, not because of my original content but the unacceptable reactions of some other members. Fortunately the moderator did take the time to let me know the reason for its removal.

jtk
    So, seeing as I know have my first official post under my belt...which forum should I post under?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    Jim,

In no way was I hinting you hadn't read the TOSs or wasn't obeying them. Just for the record.

The TOSs covering links seems pretty clear to me. There are a number of folks who use that as an excuse to complain.
    Ken

To the OP's point, where should he post it, if anywhere? If I took the time to make a video I'd want to share it too. But saying "check out my YouTube channel " on the first post is poor form. Should it be reworded? Should there be a minimum count requirement?

Jim,

In no way was I hinting you hadn't read the TOSs or wasn't obeying them. Just for the record.

The TOSs covering links seems pretty clear to me. There are a number of folks who use that as an excuse to complain.
    i personally think the TOS are hard to find. They hide way at the bottom of the pages where I bet not many actually see with any regularity. Not to mention the title is legalese and no one reads legalese. It would hep to put them at the top, re-title them something like "member rules"

What I would like to know is why a Mod hasn't jumped in yet.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night