Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not sure why my post was deleted

I do not know specifically why the thread was moved out of view nor by whom, but have moved this thread to the Forum Tech Support area where questions about forum use are best posted. Hopefully, the moderator or administrator who took original action will respond to the OP's question privately since he took the time to ask.

That said, the owners of SMC prefer that community members share information "on the forum" rather than just linking out to other resources. That includes other forums (absolutely prohibited by the TOS), websites, BLOGS, social media, etc. While we do have the ability to embed video these days just like we can utilize photos, it's best if that video is serving a particular purpose, such as illustrating a project or technique, answering a question, etc., that's material to the community. (We also encourage folks to include still photos in that case, too, since many members cannot view video content due to their Internet connections or for other reasons) When things are more pointed at promoting the remote content, that's generally held as not being in line with the mission of this forum site and it tends to result in the thread or posts being removed from view.

I offer this as clarification of both TOS and "practice" based on my role as a moderator as well as a very long time community member. I hope it is helpful. If you feel that you need additional input or clarification, please feel free to contact Keith Outten, the forum owner, directly via Private Message.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

I removed the thread in question.

I did not have the time to contact Jason when his thread was removed but I did respond to his email concerning this issue. Like most of you I have a job that interferes with my responsibilities here occasionally and right now I am exceptionally busy. Note that I make every effort to respond immediately when this happens and this is one of the times when I have been consumed lately assisting Contributors with their issues and they have priority. I am here an average of three to four sessions every day 365 days per year with 75% of my time being spent in the back office reviewing new registrations, answering Private Messages and email...plus I assist our Advertisers frequently with their needs and market our advertising system when I have free time.

Our Terms of Service (TOS) link at the bottom of every page is close to the Contact Us link which is customary for the majority of web sites. We do provide a pretty comprehensive overview of the rules in a thread in our Support Forum and there is a link at the top of every forum to an Announcement thread that provides plenty of good information. Of particular interest is this link that provides clarification about our linking policy. Take a look at paragraph three.

This is the section of our TOS that covers external links:

3. External Linking
    Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.

Honestly I don't think that this section is that difficult to understand but we have provided a clarification (see the link above) for those who need more information and this topic has been discussed in our Forums frequently over the years.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-08-2016 at 8:02 AM.