Thread: engraving off powder coat

engraving off powder coat

Hi guys,

After some advice please.

I have been asked to do a sample for a possible ongoing job engraving off powder coat so that it leaves a clean metal surface to use as an earth bonding point. When I did some 10mm square tests it came out cool but when I did the main piece it left a reddish mark/residue on the engraved area - see pic below. They need the whole area nice and clean back to the metal. I have tried giving it a good clean but it doenst seem to shift the residue.

I am using the following settings on an 80W Speedy 300 - engrave P=90, speed=50, PPI/Hz=500, passes=2, air assist on and Z-offset=0. Does this look about right (I thought it was ok during the tests).

powder coat 1.jpg

As always, any help or advice greatly received
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Your settings are similar to mine, I use 100% power and 60% speed, 600 dpi and usually two passes. I do tons of hydroflasks and this almost always leaves a very clean result. Worst case, I might have to wipe with acetone to get what little residue remains. The picture looks like the metal under the powder isn't very nicely finished, could that be it?

Looks like poorly prepped steel before coating.
    Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s

Is it the powder coat being blown and fused to the metal as it's lasered off? I don't have much experience with powder coated metal, but I've had something similar happen with freshly painted wood. The entire area came out light blue from the dust settling onto the material.

Try upping the air assist if you can and see if that helps. And wiping clean with DNA or a comparable solvent right after lasering; maybe with a metal scouring pad.

Also it's a longshot, but does it help to engrave from the center out instead of the outside in?
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Have you tried more passes? 3,4,5,6,7,8 until bare metal.
    Automated powder coating is usually more consistent. Possibly poor prep, but then too thickly applied.

All they want is a clean surface for ground, why wouldn't you just make a little mask template and hit it with a sand blaster?

-John
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Blog Entries
    Different metal and different machine, but I've been engraving Powder coated mugs today at 75% power and 225mm/s. Most had two layers (base and clearcoat) and laser blasted thru them all. Probably could have used 75% or sped up a bit, but it worked well. I did have to wipe off residue. Used Simple Green and a cheap white magic eraser to make the base metal shine. I'd expect you'll have to clean a bit...
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

All sorted - a good wipe with some nail varnish remover (being careful not to go over the powder coat) and its nice and clean. Customer is happy so hopefully the job will be mine.

thanks for the help and suggestions -allways appreciated.
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7