Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you folks sharpen your files?

How do you folks sharpen your files?

Saw this on you tube today, wondered how some of you sharpen your files.
    I have been using citric acid and clean with a brass brush and water.
    The fellow on YT used a very strong acid and a milky baking soda wash with a wire brush.
    Seemed a little dangerous to me. He did use a full face shield for protection.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

I plan to send mine out to a service. Dont have the name handy right now but there's a post in the archives.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    Saw this on you tube today, wondered how some of you sharpen your files.
    I have been using citric acid and clean with a brass brush and water.
    The fellow on YT used a very strong acid and a milky baking soda wash with a wire brush.
    Seemed a little dangerous to me. He did use a full face shield for protection.
    I grab a fresh file from the box. You do buy by the box, right?

I tried vinegar and various acids back when I did a lot of ski tuning, and the results were never anywhere near as good as a new file.

A lot of people have good luck with Boggs Tool (a sharpening service) but I've never tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I plan to send mine out to a service. Dont have the name handy right now but there's a post in the archives.
    If they paint the tang red when the file is too far gone to sharpen then it's Boggs Tool.

Blog Entries
    My sharpener told me they no longer do it, too dangerous. Files aren't that expensive.....

I just use a brass wire brush to remove any build up between the file teeth. Generally caused by the marking agent used to highlight the saw teeth. I don't bother with the notion of having the file serviced.

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    I just use a brass wire brush to remove any build up between the file teeth. Generally caused by the marking agent used to highlight the saw teeth. I don't bother with the notion of having the file serviced.

Stewie;
    Stewie brings up a good point - I do use a file card and brush religiously. There are few ways to wear a file out faster than by skidding it along the workpiece with loaded-up teeth.

I think to prevent pinning (the problem mentioned here), it used to be common to run chalk into the teeth to fill the gullets.

I find it a lot on old files from people who used them for a living, often in the same drawer as a chalk stick.

Made sense to me, though I have never done it.

I put chalk on my saw files before using them, they seem to cut a little smoother with the chalk and apparently makes the file last longer.

Matt

I take mine to work and run them through the sandblaster during my break.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

I have always rejuvenated files with citric acid. It has always done a great job for me - usually better than new. Some files I have had in use for over 10 years.

In use on metal (especially aluminium), always chalk the teeth to prevent loading. Push the file in one direction only. I rarely have to clean the teeth. When I do, I use a hard bristle brush, never a brass wire as these can wear the teeth. The idea is to keep them sharp.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for your responses.
    Stewie,
    I do the same thing with a wire brush.
    Patrick,
    I may buy a half dozen at one time. Money is is an issue.
    That's why I will clean them in citiric acid over night, then clean them in water with a brass brush,drying them with a hair dryer, and coating them with
    WD-40.
    They will work for a while after that, which helps.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

The Blacksmith's shop in Williamsburg uses Boggs service. And,I have seen their files get way beyond what i'd consider too dull. They use very coarse files mostly.

I have sharpened needle files with reverse electroplating( electro stripping) using a mixture of sulphuric and hydrochloric acids. Mustn't over do it,as the teeth get shorter every time!!

My 19th. C. reciept books (recipe) says that a new file is good for 40 hours of filing. When filing our 1095 saw blades,they certainly don't get remotely there!! But,the saws stay sharper longer than any old ones ever did.
    Last edited by george wilson; 12-08-2016 at 8:25 AM.

I remember being told years ago in a shop class chalking a file wasn't to prevent the teeth from loading up but it to make it easier to clean afterwards with a file card.

I could have been told wrong or remembered something that never happened but I've always chalked files. They clean up with no problem. I've picked up a couple of files at garage sales that were loaded up and looked salvageable. Cleaning them was not so easy- I remember one of them took watching a couple Star Trek reruns while I used a dental pick on each tooth.

-Tom

I've never heard of chalking files but it sounds good to me. What kind of chalk? School chalk board type chalk?
    David