Thread: First day off in over four months..

First day off in over four months..

And this is what I did.

I purchased this drill press about a year ago. I also purchased another of the same model but a bench top version for spare parts in the event i needed them.

The two presses have been in my shop "majorly in the way" collecting dust all torn down. Between a house full of replacement windows that arrived two weeks ago and about 600 BF of BEM i stumbled into and just had to have cluttering up my shop i desperately needed to make some room and get these two torn down drill presses and their various parts out of my way and back together.

Originaly i was going to go nuts and completely restore the machine. I planned to have it sandblasted, polish up all the metal nuts bolts, levers so forth and so on. Well that never happened. I did give all the working parts a major cleaning along with re grease.

Glad i didn't go the full resto route as after about 10-12 hours of work the machine is back together bearings all replaced, new wires run so forth and so on. After all that the runout is kinda miserable. With a bare eye you can see the spindle wobble. Non the less i am able to drill and bung holes with only minor if any reveal around the perimeter.

Right about now i am kinda wishing i had just purched a new press regardless of if they are giant pieces of crap.

Anyway im tired but glad the parts that had been spread all over one corner of my shop are now neatly spandling in one small space.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 12-07-2016 at 11:56 PM.

Nice job on your restoring the drill press. I stumbled onto a truck load of Oak Burl yesterday.
    If the 600 bf of BEM is Birdseye Maple. Would you be interested is a trade for some Burl ?
    If yes I can send photos by PM or E-mail I am in the Worcester area. Kevin

I can't tell what brand it is but I restored an old Atlas and I have .001 run out. None of my bits or reamers have this low of run out. Maybe you have an issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lee cox; 12-08-2016 at 2:31 AM.

Kevin,

Send me a PM and we can exchange email and chat.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Nice job on your restoring the drill press. I stumbled onto a truck load of Oak Burl yesterday.
    If the 600 bf of BEM is Birdseye Maple. Would you be interested is a trade for some Burl ?
    If yes I can send photos by PM or E-mail I am in the Worcester area. Kevin

I wish i had .001 of runout.

I'm pretty sure i have a problem. If i do i cant figure out where as i have been over the spindle assembly like 3-4 times looking for something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by lee cox View Post
    I can't tell what brand it is but I restored an old Atlas and I have .001 run out. None of my bits or reamers have this low of run out. Maybe you have an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post

and about 600 BF of BEM i stumbled into and just had to have cluttering up my shop
    Man, you're killing me... just killing me...

Congrats!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

That's a nice old Delta. I can't tell for sure but it looks like a 17". The guys over at OWWM would love to help with you runout problem.

A 17" it is.

i would head over to OWWM but everytime i do i cant log in with my old account. If i remember correctly in mtry and make another account then i have to wait to be approved and it never happens.

i really would like to work out the issue as i really much prefer this old machine over a new plastic one. It really helps is impressive and just plain cool how simple but alsowell made the machine is in comparison to my newer and pricey Euro equiptment.

Im 40 i would love to see this thing make it another 40 years as apposed to end up at the scrap yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    That's a nice old Delta. I can't tell for sure but it looks like a 17". The guys over at OWWM would love to help with you runout problem.