Thread: Help identify a hand saw

Help identify a hand saw

A few months ago I got a hand saw in a box of assorted tools at an auction. I've cleaned it up a bit, and now I'm trying to identify the maker.

There is no etch on the blade. Someone with a lot more experience restoring old tools than me did the initial cleaning of the etch area, and we found nothing there.

It is a 26 inch rip cut saw. There is a "7" stamped in the heel (7 ppi), and there is also a "7" stamped in the blade under the handle. The screws are brass slot screws (not split nuts). Unfortunately, the medallion is missing.

The closest match to the handle that I've found is the Disston No. 9:
    http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/9page.html
    See the handles with rounded cutout, not the triangular cutout. I don't know if the similarity means anything--this might be a common handle pattern used by many saw makers. (I've learned there were *many* makers; check out Joshua Farnsworth's list: http://woodandshop.com/woodworking-h...uide-handsaws/).

Here's the saw:

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

Anyone have a clue?

Blog Entries
    Hey Warren,

Nice-looking saw. My experience is the shape of that tote is fairly characteristic of the Disston #9 (1845 – 1918). If I had to guess I'd say it was manufactured by Disston and could have been branded as one of the theirs (branding meaning the etch and medallion) or a local retailer/hardware chain.

That said, there are others here who know a lot more about hand saws than I do like Darryl W. and Pete T., perhaps they will comment.

Looks like you have a keeper. I encourage you to sharpen it up and put it back to use.

Best, Mike

Without a medallion or an etch, you probably aren't going to get much farther than you have. Disston No.9 seems reasonable to me. If you could compare it with a known No.9, preferrably as a direct physical comparison rather than looking at pictures, you might be able to confirm or dismiss that idea.

Mike and John, thanks for the suggestions.

I encourage you to sharpen it up and put it back to use.
    Yep, that's the plan!