Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recycling

I recycle my glass take it into town to the supermarket parking lot and put it in the dumpster no charge everything else goes in the dumpster in the shop The shop scraps and the house scraps The dumpster cost me $75 a month doesn't close my neighbor anything
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Blog Entries
    We are in a metropolitan area and there are several large waste companies to choose from. Our township bids out collection to private firms. By bidding out the service, they specify what they want and the waste company willing to bid steps up to deliver that service. We have 3 waste streams: yard waste, basically unlimited, branches tied in small bundles or in the 30 gallon paper bags every hardware store sells. April thru November on yard waste. Co-mingled recycled glass, plastic, paper, cardboard, aluminum, and light steel in small recycle containers or in 50 gallon rolling carts that are mechanically picked up, and of course garbage that doesn't fit the other category, in cans or larger trash bags, or loose for larger items. They will take furniture, appliances, even old big screen televisions. Not much they won't take. We pay about $140 per year. Most metal placed out at the curb the day prior to collection day is picked up by scrappers.

On the other end of the scale, I have a friend in Sheboygan WI that must fit everything in kitchen sized trash bags, and no recycling at the curb.
    NOW you tell me...

Having just moved, I'm still getting used to how they do things here. Where we used to live, we had three cans, trash, green and recycling. Here, they eliminated the green bin and all of the yard waste goes into the recycling bin, which makes it difficult if you do a lot of yard work because there just isn't any room. I'm in the process of taking down a tree and it will take forever to get it cut up and put into the recycling bin. Twice a year, I can just call up the waste management company and tell them I have some big pile of trash and they'll come out and pick it up for free so I might end up doing that. I've seen people put out mattresses and old appliances and they get picked up, so I guess that's a benefit.

Blog Entries
    We are committed recyclers.

Our city has: Standard waste (we fill maybe 30% full), Recycling of glass/metal/plastic/paper (we fill completely), Yard waste, E-waste recycling, and hazardous waste recycling. We use them all regularly.

Additionally our city recycles grey water for non-people contact irrigation. California just banned the carryout plastic bags from grocery stores. That will reduce a lot of waste and litter.

As Wayne said, "we try to reduce the 'stuff' coming into the house."
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

We recycle and some weeks our recycle load at the street is more than our trash load...it's pretty clear that a huge amount of our household refuse is plastic, aluminum, glass and paper/cardboard!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We use to do a lot of recycling here, but in the last year I've noticed a lot of the 4-7 plastic gets gathered up and thrown into the household trash compactor. I asked a friend who works for the county why they do that. He said, "some of the guys are just lazy", and for me to bring it when he is there and he will take care of it. Our neighbors don't put out recycling anymore as it just blows off the trucks when they go around a curve. I would say people just don't care anymore, just from the trash along the roads. Sad but true.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

We were one of the first communities in the country to do curbside recycling. We pay for every other week pickup. Recycling goes out every time, garbage (non-recyclables) goes out once a month. The recyclable go to a sorting station before being sent to their next destination.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Recycling goes out every time, garbage (non-recyclables) goes out once a month.
    Doesn't the garbage get pretty rank after a month?
    NOW you tell me...

No recycling here. We burn our mail and yard waste along with any wood scraps from the shop. Everything else that can't be burnt is put in one trash can for pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Doesn't the garbage get pretty rank after a month?
    Hi Ole, no it doesn't because there is no food waste in the garbage, it's in the compost bin which is picked up weekly.

With all the recycling and composting we have almost no garbage, and it's all dry...........Regards, Rod.

In our town you either pay for private trash/recycling pickup or take your stuff to the town dump, which costs about the same, but everything has to fit into teeny-tiny "pay as you throw" bags. I think they charge for the trash and the recycle bin is "free". Neither town nor private haulers will take yard waste as far as I know. I either run it through a chipper/shredder and re-use as mulch or burn it during burn season (jan-april).

We also have a local for-profit recycling yard where they take stuff they can make money on (paper/cardboard, glass, metal, appliances) for free, and charge a small fee for less profitable stuff. This probably works because most local towns don't offer tax-funded trash/recycling pickup.

Our town has trash pickup once a week in a 60 gallon bin. Yard waste and recycling alternate every other week with a 90 gallon bin. The recycling bin is often full to the top. I tend to order a lot of stuff online instead of driving all over town looking for things, so we end up with a lot of cardboard. We could keep the cans and bottles for the 2 cent refund, but don't bother. They take all kinds of recycling material except batteries and electronics. Those have to wait for an E-waste collection.

Other towns nearby have a single bin that takes trash and recyclables. It gets sent to the prison to be manually sorted. They have to be really careful to shred all personal documents.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Ole, no it doesn't because there is no food waste in the garbage, it's in the compost bin which is picked up weekly.

With all the recycling and composting we have almost no garbage, and it's all dry...........Regards, Rod.
    Close but not quite. The food waste goes into our own compost pile. The only thing that goes in the garbage are things that are not recyclable.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]