Thread: dust collection overhead or under sleeper floor ...

dust collection overhead or under sleeper floor ...

I am nearing the end of a shop build -setup. I finally have money to finish my dust collection but now I can't decide if want to go under floor with part of my system. To accomplish this I would have to frame a sleeper floor ,probally 2''x7'' with 3/4'' osb tongue and groove floor sheathing. I want to put the floor in anyway so the only difference would be height and cost . What do you guys think ? Would love to here pros and cons and what others have done and what people wished they had done differently. Need to get this done but I know whatever I do at this point is probally going to be "forever". Thanks for any help,Mike.

OK so I feel kind of stupid here,just found the post about the floor system over concrete. Anyways my plan was to put the 2x8 on edge right on top of the floor and layout on 16 inch centers. I would build a trench into the floor for my main dust collector line and have a one foot wide strip over it should I ever need access. I get that it would be easier to change things if all the ducts are overhead. The tools that would be served by my in floor branch are in their permanent spots. What are my biggest disadvantages to this ? (in the floor).

I finished installing a sleeper floor about a month ago. Including the sleepers, insulation, nailing in the 3" fir flooring, and sanding. Sure glad I have my ducting overhead, and did not consider putting it in the floor. Hard enough to reconfigure the ductwork when I get a new machine without disturbing the floor. The floor did make a big difference in warming the shop. Used to take the wood burning furnace all day to get the shop warm, now just a couple of hours. Talking about a cold day, like we have had the last couple of.

I've never had under floor dust collection, but have definitely considered it. However, putting it underfloor would mean losing 8" or so of headroom across the ENTIRE shop. I use my entire 10-foot height as is.

Many dust collectors have their inlet just a few inches off of the floor like mine is. I did not want to run the duct all the way to the ceiling just to come back down to each piece of equipment. I ran my 6" metal duct along the wall just above the floor. Less pipe and elbows . Works fine for over four years now.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

If I had the option--and I don't, I'd love to be able to do in-floor routing for DC, electrical and air and keep the ceiling "clean". Yes, it requires routing down from a cyclone (unless there's a lower level) but with the right floor design, it still can remain easily changeable over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the replies. I was at my shop today checking what would change if I raised the floor. I have 16"ceiling so that should not be an issue. Also when I built my shop I insulated under the floor slab with 2'' of styrafoam and I built on a ICF four foot frostwall,so my floor doesn't need more insulation. The duct that I want to go under the floor with connects to two unisaws ,my jointer and planer and my 18'' bandsaw. I routed conduit under the floor to these machines for power so they are not moving. I think that I am going to go this route as I would have 10' drops to my machines if I went overhead. It is only a seven foot drop from my collector to go under the floor. It is what I really want so thanks for the push Jim.

I'm just finishing up the under floor ducting and electric (hopefully) this weekend. Without having been able to use it yet, it's looking really promising. Other than the construction clutter, the shop looks really clean and easy to move about in. Also, if planned correctly, it really isn't all that much extra work to move ducting around if necessary (sounds like you won't need to).

I hope you do it and enjoy the convince. We spend a lot of time in our workshops, so it's important to make them places we want to be in.

Good luck!