Thread: !st Sharpening Stone Box/What kind of stone is this?

!st Sharpening Stone Box/What kind of stone is this?

Threw together this sharpening stone box for an old "antique store" stone I've had for a while, the other night when I couldn't sleep. Nothing even close to Stewie's level, but it allowed me to practice a lot of skills in one build.

Anyone have any insight as to what kind of stone this is. It is Very Very Fine and puts a mirror polish on my blades. Seems very dense and heavy but it doesn't seem to make too much of a slurry when cutting.

Also If anyone can tell me (or venture a guess) as to what this wood is?? I found a stack of 8/4 boards about 2' long in my great grandfathers shop, think he used to use it making mantle clocks. Its a hardwood, with very tight grain, and planes off to a super smooth finish.

Attachment 349138IMG_8309.jpgIMG_8308.jpgIMG_8306.jpgIMG_8307.jpgIMG_8300.jpgIMG_8304.jpg
    "When I got home, I drank six more glasses of whiskey and then I finished crafting this small harp, using a bandsaw, a spokeshave, and an oscillating spindle sander." - Ron Swanson

Pete; well done on the sharpening stone box. Cant help you with the wood or stone id.

regards Stewie;

Pete ,looks like it could be one of several types of slates used for razors and such. I would suggest comparing it to pics of them. Sometimes the sizes can be a clue as some were sold in one or two standard sizes for years.