Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shellac

Shellac

Hi,

Am toying w shellac-superblonde dewaxed.

My current project, a small box turned out good, I suppose--my standards for a finish are probably low.

I have several questions:

1) Am using BORG DNA-good enough? If I get everclear or Bekhol , will that result in a harder finish? BORG DNA has too much water in it?
    2) Instead of the oil-free steel wool 0000-is the superfine Mirlon pads good enough? I just did use this Mirlon, and it turned out OK.
    3) does the processing to get superblonde dewaxed degrade your final product? I have read that the chemical processing of taking out the color results in shorter shelf life, or softer finish(?)
    4) Also, I read that when I get it from the freezer, and open it w/o waiting for it to come to room temperature, all the ambient moisture condenses on my flakes---and-----that will degrade my finish. Do you all make/put dessicants in the container or let it sit out for hours to warm up before opening?

Thanks!
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I fully admit to using Seal Coat instead of flakes, and have had no probs using DNA from the borgs as a thinner.
    There are the purists who might obsess on some of the shellac details, but I just can't quite imagine using quality Ever Clear as a thinner.

The condensation issue is WAY above my pay grade, but I'll betcha that the old masters didn't worry a great deal when mixing flakes.

I use non-woven pads often, and have had no issues.

Be safe.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Same as Bill. I use Sealcoat and borg DNA. Never had a problem. Seal coat lasts at least 2 years and costs much less than 2 lbs of flakes and a gallon of DNA. When I want color I add Transtint dye to it.

John

I think you found the three unabashed sealcoat users here on smc. It works for me well.

Make that three Sealcoat users. It's actually good stuff. Brushes well and sprays beautifully right out of the container with my HPLV conversion gun. I'd use flakes if I needed something different, particularly in darker colors, but for general shellac sealing and/or finishing...Sealcoat gets the nod from me. For small projects, the spray-bomb cans are also useful and economical.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, let's hear it for modern industry.

If I want to have a go @ FP, then the flake/DNA route is the way to go, right?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Well, let's hear it for modern industry.

If I want to have a go @ FP, then the flake/DNA route is the way to go, right?

Sealcoat is shellac. You French polish with shellac. ......

John

One more person who uses Sealcoat without shame, even for a french polish.

Yup...Sealcoat is just pre-dissolved de-waxed "blond" shellac...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another for Sealcoat. Onnly difference is I buy DNA at the paint store because that's convenient for me.

I have the impression some people go for everclear, not for better results, but more to reduce exposure to whatever toxins are in DNA. Not sure how thats different/better than wearing glove, but I havent researched it at all.

Glad to see you posting David! Give my regards to Mr. Bathurst if you see him!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I think Woodcraft now sells DNA that's a much greater percentage of ethanol, and less methanol. I got mine on Amazon.

Look for Kleen Strip Green DNA. Works great with shellac. I haven't seen it in BORGs anymore. The BORG DNA is getting more and more methanol percentage every year.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

So-the methanol is bad news w the visual toxicity. Skin absorption, inhalation.

I just checked the price of Everclear. 190 proof, 95% 1.75 L is $40. I guess the other 5% is water.

That would be $80 a gallon. Gulp. (figuratively)

In regards to 0000 steel wool v Mirlon super fine-is there any advantage to either one besides that the steel wool is cheaper?

Can you rejuvenate Mirlon pads by washing them?
    David

Blog Entries
    I lost count so I will just say I am another person who has used Seal Coat for over a decade and have no desire to change when a "clear" shellac finish is what I'm after. Not-so-hidden benefits are use as a sealer, blotch control, tints well with Transtint dyes for coloration, 3 year shelf life, sealer between incompatible or questionable materials, etc.

I keep three cuts in squirt bottles; a light cut (2:1 DNA:shellac out of the can) for sealing and general tasks, a "thicker" (1:1) cut for most of my use and a full strength (2lb cut) when I want more body so I can work the shellac during application. the BORG DNA I use is KleanStrip. Even the "green" KleanStrip is 80 -90% ethanol.

The only reverse-problem I have had with Seal Coat is shelf life . . . it lasts so long you can keep it long enough to have the water in the DNA cause the can liner to fail. Normally I consume it at a steady rate but, there was this can at the back . . . BTW, Zinsser replaced the can without question when I emailed them. I now transfer my Seal Coat to glass containers . . . only to protect myself from myself ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

David,
    Steel wool can leave tiny shards that require careful dusting if you are putting anything on top of the shellac besides wax.
    Have not used Mirlon, but I have not had good luck with similar synthetic type pads. For me, they are either too aggressive or not aggressive enough. I have never been able to make the 'white' pads work well.
    I suggest that you throw Abralon pads into consideration. These are fine abrasive ROS pads that have a foam backer. They are extremely durable and reusable if you treat and lube them properly. I use these by hand and with 5" and 3" ROS's. They're versatile and polish extremely well.

Glenn, I've had pin holing of the can happen on a nearly new, full can of Sealcoat (based on manufacturing code). I don't think water is the problem, unless it was in the can when manufactured, or maybe there is more than one failure mechanism. Now I keep my cans in a plastic bucket, just in case.

John