Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Lie-Neilson bench plane

Chris, thanks and I know that feeling...I felt similar when I restored an old wood jointer plane...It planed beautifully. I loved the heft, weight and the stronger, thicker iron ..Jointing with a handplane is a joy many don't appreciate...I will consider a LN#7 although it is a budget stretcher...THANKS...Good thought...Keep jointing and scraping..
    Jerry

My vote is to buy nothing. Use your #4 and get comfortable with it. I think you should wait until you have a specific need b4 buying the next.

I would take the time at the event to try out both the bevel up jack and the bevel down jack. I think a jack can be quite useful to many people. But these two configurations have some trade-offs. The irony is that those tradeoffs tend to be largely personal, and you won't truly know 'which way you like to work' until you live with one. But the show can be a first step towards that.

Blog Entries

A man and his toys

A preface to this post, I'm one of you.

Reminds me of the saying . . . "The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Since this thread, I followed your advice and acquired a LN #4..Haven't really used it much but feel comfortable it will perform at least as good as My 2 LN block planes.Its reputataion precedes it..

Next week, LN comes to town (thanks for tip Bill) and is conducting a workshop here....Another buying opportunity (w/o shipping charges)...My dilemma will be what is the next 2nd best target? I will stick with the bench planes although the shoulder plane, router plane are somewhat attractive..
    So many choices.. The slope beckons.. Thanks for your help.
    Why stay with replacing what you already have?

Why not broaden your selection of planes?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    My vote is to buy nothing. Use your #4 and get comfortable with it. I think you should wait until you have a specific need b4 buying the next.

I would take the time at the event to try out both the bevel up jack and the bevel down jack. I think a jack can be quite useful to many people. But these two configurations have some trade-offs. The irony is that those tradeoffs tend to be largely personal, and you won't truly know 'which way you like to work' until you live with one. But the show can be a first step towards that.
    Good advice, Prashun....Walk before you run,,,Use the show as a chance to touch, use, feel the options before purchasing...Thanks
    Jerry

Chris, thanks and I know that feeling...I felt similar when I restored an old wood jointer plane...It planed beautifully. I loved the heft, weight and the stronger, thicker iron ..Jointing with a handplane is a joy many don't appreciate...I will consider a LN#7 although it is a budget stretcher...THANKS...Good thought...Keep jointing and scraping..
    Thinking we can be brothers in financial pain...trying to only buy one more hand plane as what I ahve does everything it needs to do right now...but boy would I love another jointer plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Thinking we can be brothers in financial pain...trying to only buy one more hand plane as what I ahve does everything it needs to do right now...but boy would I love another jointer plane.
    If it makes you guys feel any better, my other hobbies (photography and skiing) make this stuff look like a bargain.

On SMC we mock Holteys as extravagant. In the world of photography that much money will get you a good solid pro-level body.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-17-2017 at 10:10 PM.

So Jerry - the LN kool aid has a good flavor?
    David

Possibly because he wants LN planes and they do not ahve the range of specialty planes Vertias has-were it to be Veritas, I would say small plow plane and skew rabbit plane.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    So Jerry - the LN kool aid has a good flavor?
    David, you are right! I'm drinking the KoolAid and it ain't bad flavor...but costly....
    Jerry

side question

As I get closer to the seeing/doing, I'm targeting the LN jointer planes and a few others..Always liked the feel of a #7 jointing the edges of long hardwoods..But recently, have come to appreciate the lighter weight, ease of use of a #6 foreplane..Can a #6 do almost most jobs/tasks as a #7? I know the #7 and its longer length is better for flattening but I appreciate these lighter #6's...Your thoughts? Could a #6 function in most cases and bridge that gap? Thanks...
    Jerry

As I get closer to the seeing/doing, I'm targeting the LN jointer planes and a few others..Always liked the feel of a #7 jointing the edges of long hardwoods..But recently, have come to appreciate the lighter weight, ease of use of a #6 foreplane..Can a #6 do almost most jobs/tasks as a #7? I know the #7 and its longer length is better for flattening but I appreciate these lighter #6's...Your thoughts? Could a #6 function in most cases and bridge that gap? Thanks...
    Probably. Really depends on the scale of work you do. The rule of thumb is that a plane can easily straighten a board (face or edge) twice as long as the length of the soul. Skill of course extends that distance. So if most of your work is 36" or less then you shoukd be golden.

Blog Entries
    [edited]
    But recently, have come to appreciate the lighter weight, ease of use of a #6 foreplane..Can a #6 do almost most jobs/tasks as a #7? I know the #7 and its longer length is better for flattening but I appreciate these lighter #6's...Your thoughts? Could a #6 function in most cases and bridge that gap? Thanks...
    My #6 gets a lot of service, more like a jack plane. For many things it is used as a jointer. For some work it is used across grain more like a scrub plane to get rid of humps and cups. At times, with a freshly sharpened blade, it is a big smoother.

My #6 has even been used to raise a panel.

It is one of the most used plane sizes in my shop.

Of course as always, YMMV!!!.jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My #6 gets a lot of service, more like a jack plane. For many things it is used as a jointer. For some work it is used across grain more like a scrub plane to get rid of humps and cups. At times, with a freshly sharpened blade, it is a big smoother.

My #6 has even been used to raise a panel.

It is one of the most used plane sizes in my shop.

Of course as always, YMMV!!!.jpg

jtk
    I think you and I are the only two guys here who love our #6 sized planes, Mine is probably the most used plane in my shop at the moment, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Probably. Really depends on the scale of work you do. The rule of thumb is that a plane can easily straighten a board (face or edge) twice as long as the length of the soul. Skill of course extends that distance. So if most of your work is 36" or less then you should be golden.
    I edge jointed for years with a #5 before I had the 6 or the 7. It does not take much technique to make the #6 do the edge jointing work of the #7.