Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Lie-Neilson bench plane

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    David, you are right! I'm drinking the KoolAid and it ain't bad flavor...but costly....
    I rationalize my expensive purchases with the thought that it is keeping tool makers in business for the next generation of woodworkers. Sounds much more noble than engaging in retail therapy...

I used to not use my #6 much at all, but have had to fab up several medium sized panels lately and have found that the #6 works best at flattening/reducing thickness for me. Previously, I was using a #5 more so than the #6, but I like the #6 for that work better. I can very well see using the #6 as a jointer/try plane for shorter timber edges and panels. I don't have any camber on mine, just eased corners and it works well. Having said that, if I was going to be marooned on that island we hear about, I would have to take the #5 I believe. After being gifted with a LN bronze #4, I completely see the appeal of their BD planes.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I used to not use my #6 much at all, but have had to fab up several medium sized panels lately and have found that the #6 works best at flattening/reducing thickness for me. Previously, I was using a #5 more so than the #6, but I like the #6 for that work better. I can very well see using the #6 as a jointer/try plane for shorter timber edges and panels. I don't have any camber on mine, just eased corners and it works well. Having said that, if I was going to be marooned on that island we hear about, I would have to take the #5 I believe. After being gifted with a LN bronze #4, I completely see the appeal of their BD planes.
    I am wanting some bevel up planes as well. I actually prefer my vintage Stanley type 13 #5 to the modern #5 replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    I think you and I are the only two guys here who love our #6 sized planes, Mine is probably the most used plane in my shop at the moment, actually.
    I think I'd get good use from one. However, I'm waiting for the Veritas custom #6.

I plan to do a lot of Touch/feel/use at the LN event....But I'd better bring a replenished wallet....So many choices so few $,,
    Jerry

6. I use my #6 as the largest of my cambered planes. Unless it is something quite wide or long, it should do the trick for flattening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    I plan to do a lot of Touch/feel/use at the LN event....But I'd better bring a replenished wallet....So many choices so few $,,
    I have found one of the biggest challenges to be limiting the number of planes that I buy. Most of my work is done with Vintage Stanley planes.