Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Lie-Neilson bench plane

Best Lie-Neilson bench plane

! recently bought 2 LN block planes and have been very impressed with their performance..(with no tweaking)
    Thinking of acquiring a bench plane or 2 of theirs as Christmas approaches...
    Which LN Bench plane(s) would you reco next as one of their best?
    I have a set of restored STANLEY vintage 3 through 8's and generaally pleased..But these LNs have impressed me..
    thanks in advance,
    Jerry
    Jerry

I have the LN#4. It works predictably well for me.

You've asked a tough question. Which of your children do you love the most?

If you are buying one, I would suggest getting the LN version of which ever Stanley bench plane you use the most;and if you mostly work hardwood, consider opting for a higher angle frog as either a supplement to or a replacement for the 45 degree "standard". If you are buying two I would probably opt for something in a smoother size and then something bigger (7 or 8). Then again, I am really fond of my 62. You mention having Stanleys 3 through 8, so a low angle 62 could potentially bring something new to your arsenal. You have a very good problem...

I have a LN 60 1/2 Block and agree with your assessment. I also invested in a LN 4 1/2 as a good final smoother. My regular users are a restored set of Sweetheart era #3 thru #7 (lacking the 4 1/2 and 5 1/2), with Hock blades.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Markunas View Post
    ...... I am really fond of my 62. You mention having Stanleys 3 through 8, so a low angle 62 could potentially bring something new to your arsenal. You have a very good problem...
    Good point Barney. I have the LV/Veritas version of the Low Angle Jack and find it very useful. I considered a high angle frog for my LN 4 1/2, but use the high angle blades on the Veritas Low Angle Jack for tough grain instead. It makes a very good smoother in that regard.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I am not a Neander, but your lead-in grabbed my attention. I got a LN medium shoulder that opened my eyes to the possibilities of planes. That was followed by a 4-1/2, and then a 7 fell in my pocket (that's what SWMBO was told) at a Hand Tool Event. No regrets, and I regularly drool over their website.

I'll put the 4-1/2 in my will. It is that good IMHO.

I have an LN4 as well, and it's a great plane with one exception- I was not a big fan of the A2 steel (too chippy), so I replaced the iron recently with a Hock O1 blade, which is excellent. This did require some slight modification to the LN chipbreaker to allow it to properly engage the depth adjuster tab. The plane itself is great, though- some people don't like the heft, but for me it's acceptable in a finish plane. Most people seem to like the A2 just fine, though, so your mileage may vary.

All of their other bench planes will be similar in character - flat sole, tight adjustments, heavy, A2 steel, etc. So I wouldn't say any of them are "best", but I do think that their qualities are best suited to finish planes and jointing planes, where the accuracy and flatness are most needed, and the heft is less of a penalty. So, a 3/4 and 7/8 would be my picks. Jack, scrub, and try planes I'd leave to vintage or, even better, wooden.

Blog Entries
    My thought is they would be equal in quality and performance.

If there is a size missing in your assortment that you would use, then that might be the best one to purchase. Perhaps one of your bench planes isn't fully up to your standards, that would be one to replace.

My bench plane selection has all sizes from #1 through #8 with a #10-1/4 at the end. My only LN planes are the #1, cheaper than the Stanley #1, a #60-1/2 and a #62, also cheaper and better than the Stanley #62.

If you have a particular size you use a lot and would like the pleasure of a new plane filling your hands, then that would be the size to acquire.

In my case one of my #5-1/4 planes is set up like a small smoother jack and the other is set up for a scrub plane. The one set up for scrub was from a bad ebay deal and has some ugly cracks in the sole, but it still performs as a scrub plane. Perhaps you have a plane you would want to set up this way and a new LN plane to take its place would be a good choice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    ! recently bought 2 LN block planes and have been very impressed with their performance..(with no tweaking)
    Thinking of acquiring a bench plane or 2 of theirs as Christmas approaches...
    I have a set of restored STANLEY vintage 3 through 8's and generaally pleased..But these LNs have impressed me..
    thanks in advance,
    Jerry
    Given that you already have Stanleys you're going to be improving usability (if anything) rather than adding capability. That being the case I'd suggest either replacing the one that aggravates you most, or if no such plane exists then replace the one you use most.

I'll add one caveat to that, though: Most classic Stanley planes are very usable when properly tuned and employed. If you're having trouble with them then your time/money might be better spent addressing the underlying cause. If you're just giving yourself a present then ignore though :-).

Blog Entries
    I vote for the bronze #4 or the 4 1/2. Both are excellent. I prefer a larger smoother, hence the 4 or 4 1/2. Of course then you need a 5 and a 7 or 8, or maybe a 7 AND an 8... And hey- you have to fill the gap with a 6...

And that, my friend, is how addictions get started.

Like you, I have the Stanley Bailey line up in the sizes I use (3-7, one of them you sold me a while back thank you very much) and use them fairly often. No issues with them, they work as advertised (as they say, sharp cure most ills). Someone wanted to gift me a LN plane (after asking me which hand tool brand was droolworthy) in return for furniture built and other carpentry work done for them over the years and asked which one would I like. I went for the bronze #4, thinking it seems to be the one most talked about and I figured I could never go wrong with a "go-to smoother". When I received it, my initial response (holding it in mid air, then making the first few strokes) was "this thing is heavy". I am not normally a "return" type person as long as the item is not damaged, so that option really never came up. After a blade polishing and by the second time I used it battle, I don't even notice the weight at all and it is definitely my "go-to" smoother. No fiddling with adjustment, no backlash, nothing loose, run the blade out-run the blade in-sharpen as needed-go back to work plane. I have two Bailey #4's and am considering turning one into a scrub plane just to find employment for it. Just my observations.
    David

I agree with Malcolm. I soothed the pain of breaking the frog on a daily-user 604 (it took a suicidal leap off of my workbench) by getting a bronze LN4. I have never enjoyed using a plane more. It fits my large hand better than the 604 did, and it works like a dream.

Gerry, my most used LN planes are the #60 1/2 and modified #103 block planes, and then a #3 smoother (modified with a #4 handle). Frankly, I get the same performance out of a #3 Stanley, but there is much pleasure in using the bronze LN.

The LN planes I would recommend are the side rabbet planes (#98/99). Very handy when needed. Also the #62 LA Jack, because the Stanley version is not available or, if it is, is not as durable. That's a really nice plane (different from the Veritas, but you are not after Veritas here).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    The LN planes I would recommend are the side rabbet planes (#98/99).
    These didn't cross my mind. They are a must have if you cut dados, rabbets or slots for panels. They come in handy quite often for many uses.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I own the LN 102 and the small rabbet plane and chisel plane. I would say it is the 102 for me. I have heard many good thing of the #4 also but I have veritas plane for that segment and a stanley #4.
    Perhaps it is my taste but I find that LN has more flare in the design while Veritas is more mechanical and ergonomic.....

Each to his/her own taste in maker tools.