Thread: PVC boards

PVC boards

Has anyone made anything from the PVC boards I see on Lowe's website?
    Is it good for jigs and such? Runners for saw sleds?
    Any secrets to working with it?

Chuck

The material is usable for many things, but a lot of it isn't rigid enough for my tastes to build things like jigs that have to remain precise...it bends easily, in other words. You might want to grab a small piece and play with it to see how you feel it might fit into your activities. Cutting it/working with it is easy, relatively speaking, albeit a bit messy because of how it machines and how static electricity comes into play.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have templet routed 3/4" thick PVC. Heavy, easy to rout, threads well, supplied uneven but can be milled flat.
    Can be band and table sawn. I like the stuff.

Jim's point on the flexibility is particularly applicable to trim. It takes a little more work to install since it needs more accurate blocking than wood.

I use various thicknesses of 4 X 8 foot PVC sheets to make signs using my CNC router. I have also used it to build dust collection adapters and other mechanical assemblies. The material can be solvent welded just like PVC plumbing. I used to use the Lowes store brand for narrow material but found that Versatex is a more fine grained and consistent product. I agree with Jim that it isn't really stiff and will flex if not properly supported.

One thing I will mention. Be careful what color you paint it if it is used out in the weather. The sun will warp it if it is painted really dark.

I've used it for exterior trim work. Easy to cut, route, etc., with standard tooling, but the dust goes everywhere and sticks to everything from the static it generates. Solvent welding is a nice feature. I can't see any obvious uses for it in the shop, however.

John

It's great stuff for house trim, but cutting or routing it is a nightmarish mess. Even outdoors. I have a painting suit type of garment, one piece, covers me up to the neck, that I wear when I work with the stuff to help with the amount that always ended ups tuck to my clothing. I wouldn't use it if I had a choice.

Ken

I agree with John about the mess. I have a dust collection system on my CNC router that helps a lot. The dust hood around my router head was fabricated using solvent welded 3/4 inch PVC sheet material.

Blog Entries
    Years ago my Dad made fences for his shaper and radial arm saw our of scrap Corrian. It is sooth and flat and can be machined relatively easily. It is also relatively stable with temperature change.

Pvc is much too flexible in my opinion.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The nominal 1x3 stuff, when cut into 3/8" strips makes great runners for sleds and jigs. Doesn't expand in the summer or shrink in the winter.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!