Thread: Router lift selection???????

Router lift selection???????

I am researching router lift. I am looking at jessem options. The question I am hung up on is what's the difference between the $190.00 model verses the $360.00 option. What could they have changed to justify the added price? If anyone has encountered this question please let me benefit from your experience. Thanks in advance for any help. Chris

Possibly the biggest difference is the Mast r lift can be used with 3 1/4 motors where the Rout r lift is limited to 3.5" routers thus 2 1/4 hp motors.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I will double check the specs. I thought my 3.25 up Porter cable would fit. I will have to look again.

If. T hat is the case, I would not be able to use my big router. That is the advantage being that n already have the power plant to r in in it.

Would anyone recommend a different bra and lift. I don't have my heart set on the jessem, but it seems to be one of the popular ones out there? I will be interested in hearing pros and cons of all the lifts available. I value this site as a powerful resource. Thanks again Chris

Oops typo I meant to type "brand"

I have the Woodpecker PRL-V2 lift, with a 3.25 PC motor in it. I like it very much because of the speed with which you can raise / lower the lift, above-the-table bit changes, and the fine-tuning wheel. The basic lift is $369 right now.

I've never seen a Jessem lift, so I can't offer any comparisons.

I will look into that one. My local woodcraft store only has the more expensive jessem. It seems the $375.00 price range is about where I am going to end up if the cheaper jessem won't fit my router.

I had the Woodpeckers for several years with a 3.25HP PC motor in it, and then changed to the Jessem Master-Lift. I'm much happier with it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Yes, the $190 model Rout-R-Lift II is only for the smaller routers. Your big guy won't fit.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Benchdog with PC7518 combo has proven reliable and is built like a tank. I installed a Digi-Router digital readout on it, best of both worlds.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have the Woodpecker PRL-V2 with a PC7518 router motor in it. I really like it. IIRC, it's a lifetime warrantee.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by chris ormsby View Post
    Would anyone recommend a different bra and lift. I don't have my heart set on the jessem, but it seems to be one of the popular ones out there? I will be interested in hearing pros and cons of all the lifts available. I value this site as a powerful resource. Thanks again Chris
    Honestly, all the main contenders in the "big" router lift category are excellent and mainly come down to personal preference based on the minor differences between the way they operate. Personally, I am big fan of Woodpecker lifts.

PS you didn't mention which motor you have but be aware the PC 7518 (and the clones that I am aware of) are a different diameter than the Milwaukee 5625 so you need to get a lift designed for the correct motor or the proper pads if they are sold separately. The Milwaukee is slightly small so you can shim it to fit a PC lift if you HAVE to, but not the other way around.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 12-10-2016 at 9:37 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have both the Incra version of the PRL-V2 and the original Bench Dog ProLift with cast iron rings (the new lifts come with plastic inserts these days I think).

The BenchDog is built like a tank, way sturdier than any aluminum lift can hope to be. It is also nickel plated so it doesn't rust. There is very little backlash in the adjustment mechanism and if greased properly, cranking the lift up and down is quite quick. You do need a sturdy table for this lift. The smallest cast iron ring also has the ability to mount zero-clearance inserts. Not a terribly useful feature, but can come in handy once in a blue moon.

PRL-V2 is also nice, its claim to fame being the quick raise and lower. A bit of backlash in the adjustment wheel. The wheel is barely protruding through the lift top, so you have to use your finger tips to adjust. The threaded rod is pretty fine so fine adjustment is possible, however it can be tedious if you didn't quite hit your mark with the quick-adjustment feature. Incra Magna-Lock rings are nice as well.

Both work flawlessly with the PC 7518/7519 routers and both allow use of regular collet wrenches. No need to invest in those offset wrenches.