Thread: Figured Walnut Resawing Problem

Figured Walnut Resawing Problem

So my in laws in an attempt to support my nascent woodworking hobby bought me a 30 lb project pack of kiln dried Figured Walnut (mostly end cuts, etc 5/4 & 8/4 stock).

I have had it in my shop for ~4 weeks.

Today I jointed, planed and was resawing one of the pieces (5/4 x 6 x 15). During the resawing (I was splitting board down the middle) the board just twisted up on me. The twisting was so bad that the kerf closed up on me about 1/2 through the second cut on the table saw.

So now, I have two pieces that are so warped that they are teeter-totters.

So my question is was the wood actually set wet or is this a problem with figured walnut (or maybe just this board)? Because it happened so fast, I thought it might be a problem to figured walnut or this board.

It could have been a problem with the drying. The outside surfaces may have dried very fast, but were prevented from shrinking because the inside is still wet. Then the inside dries out and is also prevented from shrinking properly because of the stress in the outer surfaces. Resawing the board allows the stress to be relieved and you end up with a couple of bananas.

It may just be that one board. They seem like they are short enough to still be able to plane them flat. Cut them slightly oversized and let them sit for a day or two before finishing them to the final size.

Steve

In general, what you describe is best attributed to both uneven moisture content and internal stresses. It's not because it's figured walnut specifically...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    5/4x6"x15" that was kiln dried and sat in the shop for four weeks, I don't think you can blame the moisture content, it was likely even dry.

The board may have had uneven stress (very likely). I resaw walnut very often and once in a while you just get a board that doesn't behave well.

Did your table saw burn in the cut at all?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I don't know I have made a bunch of stuff out of heavily figured crotch walnut and every piece has a stupid amount of movement in it. It's probably a lot of factors but anything heavily figured always seems to move on me.

I have had the same experience with crotch walnut. If cut to 1/4" thick or less, it may be used as a panel in a frame that is made with rather beefy components. I wonder if the stress might be partially relieved by weighting the thin panels for several days right after sawing them.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    5/4x6"x15" that was kiln dried and sat in the shop for four weeks, I don't think you can blame the moisture content, it was likely even dry.

The board may have had uneven stress (very likely). I resaw walnut very often and once in a while you just get a board that doesn't behave well.

Did your table saw burn in the cut at all?

Like I was having a BBQ in the shop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    Like I was having a BBQ in the shop
    And you wonder why it turned into a potato chip

Take light cuts next time.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.