Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather & Old Bones; I'm Beginning to Understand

Cold Weather & Old Bones; I'm Beginning to Understand

The weather forecaster calls it a "polar vortex" that makes it darn cold with strong winds. I am beginning to understand the expression, "cold to the bone," that Pappy frequently said. How do you fellow old timers deal with the cold?

Minimize exposure to it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

turn up the heat
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I try my best to keep myself outside as much as possible and acclimate to the weather, even if it's just a hour or so. I feel I build a resistance to getting cold this way which helps with the joints. That said, my knees were aching a bit today. I tend to drink quite a bit of hot tea during the winter which seems to help.
    Mac

Rich, i'm sorry to hear that it's getting cold where you're at.

I've heard that some people who live in cold climates take a vacation to someplace warmer during winter. You wouldn't happen to have a guest house would you?

Actually you do get used to it. I personally can't take the heat that you have in Virginia during summer.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Jerry,

I spend most my time these days in Kentucky, just across from Cincinnati. I do still "live" part-time in Virginia and will return between Christmas and New Year's. We do have a guest house in Hebron, Kentucky. The Virginia summers can get punishing. Next Saturday, I am taking the old bones to Aruba just because you recommend a warmer climate.

Try not to get old. I could handle the cold when I was in my 20s. I need to bundle up a lot more now that I am in my 50s. It is probably going to keep getting worse.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    I try my best to keep myself outside as much as possible and acclimate to the weather, even if it's just a hour or so. I feel I build a resistance to getting cold this way which helps with the joints.
    This is good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    Try not to get old.
    This is even better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    The weather forecaster calls it a "polar vortex" that makes it darn cold with strong winds. I am beginning to understand the expression, "cold to the bone," that Pappy frequently said. How do you fellow old timers deal with the cold?
    Well, I wouldn't exactly call myself an "oldtimer" however winter is just another of the seasons to be enjoyed.

I'm not a skier, however I like walking in the winter, especially when it's cold enough that the snow "squeaks" as you walk on it.

I also enjoy working outside (unless it's below -30, either temp or windchill).

The trick, like anything else is correct clothing, I own 4 different winter jackets for different uses/temperature ranges. A good hood and tuque, warm gloves or mits. and you're all set.

Now Rich, you know I work part time in Virginia, years ago I was down there supervising a concrete pad pour in January when I heard from behind me "Let's play spot the Canadian".

I turned around and it was the owner of the construction company, who I hadn't met before. When I looked around I was wearing a flannel shirt and jeans, and had a mug of tea in my hand. Everyone else was bundled up, no idea why, it was sunny, no wind and 20F, beautiful weather.

Last January I was in Kuujjuaq Nunavik and the temperature rose to -35, sunny with very little wind, everyone was going ice fishing because it was so warm.

Now, I have no idea how you southerners stand the summer, I've worked in Virginia in July and just about died, same as vacationing further south.

Anyway, it's only -5 this morning and the rest of the Christmas lights need to be put at my neighbours house, time to get going, Rod.

Living in snow country all my life, western NY, MA, and NH, it's just part of life. About 7 years ago in January I was on my annual trip to the Colonial Williamsburg 18th century furniture conference. The morning I left to drive down it was -28F and you don't want to even think about the wind chill with the gale blowing. I arrived in Williamsburg and folks were moaning and groaning about the cold. It was +30F and there was a dusting of snow on the ground. I was wearing a long sleeve undershirt and a flannel shirt with a baseball cap on my head and was quite comfortable. People looked at me like I was crazy. What was the problem? It was almost 60 degrees warmer than where I'd come from the morning before. Mac is right, you CAN acclimatize yourself.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Rod, Dave, and Mac,

I am headed to Aruba on Saturday to acclimate to winter weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Now Rich, you know I work part time in Virginia, years ago I was down there supervising a concrete pad pour in January when I heard from behind me "Let's play spot the Canadian".

I turned around and it was the owner of the construction company, who I hadn't met before. When I looked around I was wearing a flannel shirt and jeans, and had a mug of tea in my hand. Everyone else was bundled up, no idea why, it was sunny, no wind and 20F, beautiful weather.

Last January I was in Kuujjuaq Nunavik and the temperature rose to -35, sunny with very little wind, everyone was going ice fishing because it was so warm.
    My father grew up in Chinook Mt, just south of the Canadian border. He spent so many years working on the farm in the cold weather that he wouldn't even put on a coat until it was around 20 degrees outside. He told me once that he worked around some farm hands that spent much of their time on horse back working cows and sheep, yet they seldom wore heavy coats. The cold didn't seem to bother them much at all. He asked how they did it and they told he that once it started getting cold, they stopped taking hot showers, and didn't spend much time in heated houses. It allowed them to acclimate to the cold and stay that way all winter long.

I never understood it until I spent a winter working outside a fair bit when it was -15 to -35. It stayed below -25 for almost two weeks straight. When the cold spell finally broke, and it warmed up to about -5, I was walking around in a sweatshirt eating ice cream.

I do find that cold effects me more now than when I was younger. At 56 I simply dislike the cold more and the warm temps much more. I love May and Sept as the weather in Utah is about perfect then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Rod, Dave, and Mac,

I am headed to Aruba on Saturday to acclimate to winter weather.
    You realize that by fleeing to Aruba you've going to be labeled a snowbird?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    You realize that by fleeing to Aruba you've going to be labeled a snowbird?
    I have been called worse.....