Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold Weather & Old Bones; I'm Beginning to Understand

With the farm I'm outside for a good part of the day, 95-deg or 5-deg. Just like me, the animals wake up hungry so I'm usually feeding and watering when it gets light. Fortunately, with animal care you are always moving - if I stopped to rest I'd be cold to the bones.

BTW, watering is especially interesting in freezing weather, especially where I don't have electric heaters. Using water hoses takes special care also - drain after ever use or, my favorite method, blow the water out with compressed air.

You get acclimated after a while; to an extent a big part of comfort is the relative temperature. I keep the shop near the barn at 60-65 in the winter. 60 would freeze me out in the summer but it sure feels toasty in the winter! If I kept my house as hot as some I've been in I'm not sure I could stand going out. Or coming back in.

I found that if I keep my ears, fingers and toes warm the rest of me doesn't mind the cold much. So earmuffs, gloves and boots, hat/scarf if windy, thermal layer with jeans & jacket - I can stay out all day. Fortunately it doesn't often get teeth-cracking cold in TN but we did have 20-28 temps the last few nights. But if it gets down close to zero (F) I get out the Carhart insulated coveralls!

JKJ

I deal with it via a single word: UnderArmour.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Precisely why I moved to St. George, Utah when I retired. Rarely snows and mild daytime temperatures with sun almost every day. I was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah where it snows a lot and and they have temperature inversions every winter.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I have been called worse.....
    And will be again the next time we meet!

I just went out to feed the birds and knock the snow off the feeder.

Apparently the squirrel was hungry.........Regards, Rod.

IMG_20161212_120344.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    Try not to get old.
    Hmmm, that seems a bit extreme. I think I will take my chances at getting cold, considering the alternative to getting old.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Spend time by the wood stove - there is just something about that type of heat that can't be beat....

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I like walking in the winter, especially when it's cold enough that the snow "squeaks" as you walk on it.
    You are a sick Individual Rod!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-12-2016 at 2:15 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Hmmm, that seems a bit extreme. I think I will take my chances at getting cold, considering the alternative to getting old.
    The only alternative I can think of to getting results in one's body becoming cold IMO.

I'll suffer for a while longer, thank you!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    You realize that by fleeing to Aruba you've going to be labeled a snowbird?
    That little yellow bird in the upper corner of his posts is a snow bird.

I'm 74 and feel the cold more than when I was young, I wear a fleece vest most of the time because my back is sensitive to the cold. The weather here is wet/damp and chill about 6 months of the year, when I'm out walking it feels like the cold is painted on my face and hands.

My daughter lives in Colorado Springs and I find the wintertime there much easier to deal with, they get a lot more light too. I often wished I had chosen another place to live after I retired from the service.
    Last edited by Bill Neely; 12-13-2016 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post

I was having the same thought, Larry. I'm spending a couple weeks in Scottsdale, AZ and it's not too shabby this time of year. The summers on the other hand .........