Thread: Computer desk with built in computer.

Cool Computer desk with built in computer.

This is the first major wood working project I have ever done. I receive a lot of help from members of this forum. I'm not quite finished with the computer section yet, but I thought I would share my progress.

9I1G22uh.jpg
    CwCFExEh.jpg
    0k3uxFAh.jpg
    rgZvpqhh.jpg
    8FIz10wh.jpg
    zTFC3fAh.jpg
    lxcQhcTh.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Additional pictures of the computer cabinet.
    68gwUZih.jpg
    GDHGGV4h.jpg
    2q24M15h.jpg

Cool project, and pretty ambitious for the first. I like the idea of an 'exploded' computer inside a wood case where the components aren't all jammed in together. That's a lot of fans - I assume they suck in the front and blow out the back? That's a good looking top too. My desk is currently an unfinished Home Depot hollow core door (someday will be solid wood) on a motorized lift so I can stand up or sit down depending on my needs. I wanted to prototype the setup for a while before I committed real hardwood.

Beautiful project Chris. Both the design & finish are pleasing to the eye. I assume you have powered up all those fans and are OK with the noise level? Most button fans, particularly large ones, are pretty loud in my experience.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Cool project. It does appear there are a lot of fans. Eight of them is going to sound like a large bee hive is in the cabinet. Unless your computer is throwing a lot more heat than the average computer, I think you could eliminate the ones in the front and half the ones in the back. Leave the air inlets in the front to let air in. Having the fans in the back will reduce the fan noise level.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Cool project. It does appear there are a lot of fans. Eight of them is going to sound like a large bee hive is in the cabinet. Unless your computer is throwing a lot more heat than the average computer, I think you could eliminate the ones in the front and half the ones in the back. Leave the air inlets in the front to let air in. Having the fans in the back will reduce the fan noise level.
    This will be putting out a bit more heat than a traditional dell. I'll be mounting the radiator for the water loop at the front, so I wanted to be sure to feed it with cool air. I've used this model of fan for a couple years, and they are very quiet, so I'm not too worried about noise. They are all mounted with silicone pads to the cabinet, so I should be isolating any vibration to each individual fan and prevent any noise amplification from the panels. I'm still waiting on the 3D printed components to be delivered, but I'll post pictures of the final setup once they come. Worst case scenario I can always attach some sound absorbing foam in the cabinet to eliminate any echo.

kp88rIO.jpg

Great project! I am really interested in seeing how you mount the motherboard. I'm guessing it has something to do with the drawer slides. When you pull the motherboard out will the liquid cooling pull out with it?
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

This is the complete computer drawer. Everything for the computer is completely self contained. I'll be back home in January to slide it into the cabinet.

oY8FF2ch.jpg
    NxkBZcgh.jpg
    Y1TvadVh.jpg
    2PY1Ddyh.jpg

Chris, that is some seriously serious hardware, what do you use it for?

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Chris, that is some seriously serious hardware, what do you use it for?
    Just some occasional PC games, not anything special. Most people tend to have all sorts of lights and windows to display the components. I'm odd in that I'm trying to hide everything inside a normal looking desk.

Very nice job Chris. I find that much more appealing than the out-of-a-SciFi-movie creations that claim to appeal to gamers.

That turned out very nice Chris.
    Well done!

Andy Rooney