Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 37" Tablesaw height? Too high?

37" Tablesaw height? Too high?

I am working on the design of my tablesaw "station", which will be based around my SawStop PCS. I have the sliding table on the left end, and would like the fence on the slider to clear my old workbench. To do so, I will need to raise the tablesaw's top from 34" to 37"

Has anybody worked with a saw with a table this high? If so, how has it worked out for you?

FYI: I'm 6" tall.

Why don't we have STRIKETHROUGH available??? grrr....

6 FEET tall. Not inches.
    Last edited by John Sanford; 07-04-2016 at 12:39 AM.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Being 6 inches tall I would say yes, that is way too high. My Ridgid is 37" high after the mobile base, and it feels comfortable to me. But then I am a whole bunch taller at 69 inches, so that makes sense...

:-) :-) :-) :-)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Personal preference, but I like to be able to place the palm of my hands flat on a work surface, with my elbows having a relaxed, ever-so-slight bend in them. For me, that's about 36". Most of my work surfaces and flat-topped machines are at 36", so I can slide boards or sheets from one machine to the next, without having anything hang up on a lip. Obviously, you want a jointer lower than that, so you can properly exert downward pressure on a wide board when facing.

I recently looked into this when I lifted my saw up from 34" all the way up to 36.5" ,I may go higher. It feels so much better now. I am 71" tall... This guy explaines it well in the video about table saw height....But just like everyone else, its his opinion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhYmpNcyUMU
    Last edited by Mike Bigfoot; 07-03-2016 at 5:53 AM.
    He who has the most tools wins! ....Not really, okay how about this... He who has the most friends wins, no no, I'll lose that, okay, lets just stick with ...He who has the most tools wins! ha, I can live with that...

I'm 6'3" tall, so for me it would be no problem. My table saw is currently at about 37", and my work benches are at 39". I'd like to raise the saws to the level of the bench, but I haven't come up with a practical method yet to accomplish it.
    When I built our kitchen and bathroom cabinets I raised the counter surfaces up to 37" from 34 1/2". Even my wife, whom is 5' 6", finds the higher counters more comfortable.
    At 6' tall I don't think you'll have any issues with a tables saw surface 37" from the floor. You should be able to reach the back of the saw, flat footed, and not be in danger of contacting the blade at full height, while reaching.
    It's easy enough to put one up on blocks and try it out first.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 07-03-2016 at 6:14 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I raised my PCS about 5" and happy with it. I am about 6'2" and have a bad back and the height helps. Everyone will have a personal preference and one needs to try things out to find what works best.

Blog Entries
    I'm 71" tall and my saw top is at 37" and I find it very comfortable.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have an Inca tabelsaw that's quite tall and like it for smaller cuts. You should have no problem with your saw considering your height.

My saw and other tools and workbench are 38.25 inches tall. I like that height but the workbench could be shorter when I am using the track saw. I am 6'2" tall.

My TS is on a 2x4 base which makes it 37.5" tall. I'm 6'1" and it's great. No way would I want it lower.

Is working at your kitchen counters comfortable for you mine are just over 36" tall When I installed pharmacy cabinets they were 40" tall

I'm 5'11" and set my machines at 38-40". Mainly because my back doesn't like me to work slightly bent over. Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bigfoot View Post
    I recently looked into this when I lifted my saw up from 34" all the way up to 36.5" ,I may go higher. It feels so much better now. I am 71" tall... This guy explaines it well in the video about table saw height....But just like everyone else, its his opinion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhYmpNcyUMU

Mike and I are about the same height and made the same height adjustment on our saws, 36.5". My target height reflected the previous height of my old saw as most of my shop surfaces were made to match it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Remember the old standard for workbench height?

It was stand with your hands and arms by your side, clench your knuckles, and that is the proper height for a work bench.

That's how I built mine and I'm happy with it.

As it so happens my Delta contractor's saw within 1/2" of the same height.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-03-2016 at 12:46 PM.