Thread: Small boxes - Dovetail/Finger joint help

Small boxes - Dovetail/Finger joint help

Hi,

New here, first post.

I'm into woodworking as a hobby and would like to make small boxes (jewelry boxes, small wooden tool boxes, boxes for games, desks etc).
    I resaw most of my wood from maple, cherry, ash, oak etc. from the wood pile, some purchased exotic woods and other local sorces. I'd generally like to work with wd that is between 1/4" - 1/2" thick.

I'd like to incorporate (small) through dovetail and finger joints into some of my work. I'd like to get a dovetail jig so I can make through dovetails and box (finger) joints with my Bosch 1617EVSPK.

Since I'm working with small boxes, I need the dovetails and finger joints to be on the smaller side, preferrably 1/4" with 1/2" spacing.

I've never used a dovetail jig, so I'm looking for recommendations for the right jig. Since this is a hobby, I would hope that I won't need to spend $400 on a jig, but am willing to save up to get the tool that I need.

Here's some of what I've discovered, so far:

The Leigh D4 is one of the most versatile jigs, very well liked, but more difficult to set up and expensive. (Probably beyond what I am willing to spend)

The Akeda DC-16 is also quite versatile, has a nice work surface, has dust collection and is quite a bit easier to set up than the Leigh jig. (This jig has my attention, as I like the variable spacing, clamping system and general ease of use)

The PC Omnijig seems well liked but I don't know a lot about it.

The PC 4212 is easy to set up, has a nice built-in depth gauge, great clamping and has the 4215 template for smaller dovetails and closer spacing, but is made primarily for even spacing of tails/fingers. At less than $150 plus the smaller template, it's very affordable. (Likely to be the jig that I choose, unless I can find something more suited to my needs)

I don't really need to make blind dovetails, need the smaller scale tails/fingers and want the ability to clamp my work. I can live with uniform spacing or having to reset my work to achieve custom spacing if needed.

What I don't know about the Akeda DC-16 is the minimum spacing and minimum size of joint, from what I can tell, it does not provide for the close spacing/small joint that I want to make.

I appreciate any recommendations, suggestions or comments that you can provide.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

First of all WELCOME TO SMC!!!! Wade on in, share what you know, learn all you can, and enjoy the great folks here at SMC.

Boxjoints on a small box? Yes....works very nicely. I use a Freud Dado set and a homemade boxjoint jig on my tablesaw. Works really well. I've made boxes for custom knives made by a local Master Bladesmith, music boxes, keepsake boxes, and the like. All on my TS and my boxjoint jig.

Dovetails? I have the Omnijig and while it is a nice DT jig, I've used the Akeida DT jig as well and really like it a lot better than my Omnijg. Knowing what I know now? I would have opted for the Akeida any day.

If you have a TS, then you may want to consider the new Freud dado set made specificly for boxjoints. I'm strongly leaning towards ordering one for me since it's supposed to be the "king" of cutting clean boxjoints.

So...you have my thoughts on this and I'm sure others will chime in and help you a little further. There are others here that are much better than I on making boxes.....just ask Michael Stafford.!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Welcome Dave!!

Did someone mention small finger joints? These were done on my PM66 tablesaw. I spent $14 on a blade and used scrap I had on hand for the jig.

The second picture is a couple boxes using the same jig, showing them in scale to a tape measure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 10-09-2005 at 8:50 AM.

I could probably give you ideas on how to do it the wrong way!! So I'd just like to say Welcome!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Hi All,

I really appreciate your comments!

Looks like maybe I can use a combinaton of tools to accomplish the looks that I'm after. I don't have the right TS blade, but may take a closer look at the Freud Box Joint Blade and a nice 80T 1/8" Blade for the Box Joints ...
    ... I'd Still like to be able to do the 1/4" Dovetails with the router w/guide if possible.

I have a nice Router Table, so maybe I can order just the PC 4215 Template and make a nice jig for use on the router table ... someting similar to the Kellor or Katie jig. Has anyone tried using the PC Templates this way (on the router table)?

Sure do like those small finger joints Todd, that's definately one of the looks that I'm after.

Thanks again All!!
    Last edited by Dave Brownscombe; 10-09-2005 at 4:10 PM.

Todd are those finger joints made with one blade? I am wanting to make some small music boxes but need small finger joints. Thanks.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hi Bernie. Yes, one blade. One pass for each finger hole. One stinking slow pass for each finger hole. Lots of friggin finger holes. Ooh, my aching back...

(Hint: I use any old thin kerf 7 1/4" carbide blade in my 10" tablesaw. I have it ground with a flat top grind. Don't tell anyone...)

Todd

If you are a fan of the Forrest blades, they have a perfectly flat top "Woodworker II" blade called a "Number 1 grind." My preference for every day use is a "Number 6 grind," which has a nearly flat kerf, from a raker tooth every 5th position, but with the ATB teeth to minimize tear out.

Thanks Todd, I appreciate it. I figured by the looks of it that is what was used. I am going to try that on a music box for the DIL. Son thinks she will like it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dovetails

Hi There Dave
    Welcome to the saw mill, I am new here myself and these guys are the nicest bunch of people who realy don't know each other that I have ever found.

I would try to hand cut the dovetails. I am finding out myself that they are not that hard and you can make them anyway you want. My 2 cents.

Todd: Nice job on those small finger joints.

Takecare
    Bob Oehler

For small dovetails, you need a small dovetail jig and a template to guide it. I have the Leigh and the small bit is in their case but I havent used it. I have used the WoodRat a lot and love the way it does the small DT's.

And here is a page that will take you to the WoodRat how-to:

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/wr-51.htm
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

More great suggestions!

Thanks to all ...
    ... and thanks for all the warm welcomes too!