Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection holes in Zero Clearance Insert for Bandsaw

Is there any reason the homemade inserts have to have the slot facing the front? It's bad enough that the table is set up that way (and has no pin!), but the insert always sags at that slot (because it's unsupported in the center). Wouldn't it make more sense to turn it around and have the slot at the back?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I've made a ZCI for my Minimax bandsaw (the original insert left something to be desired). Should I drill some holes in it for the dust collection? I'm working on the impression that the dust should be carried out and through the insert by the saw gullets.

It's easy enough to try, but I don't have a dust collector just yet....so I can't.
    I make inserts from thin plywood for my 18" Rikon saw and always drill holes in them. The dust is normally pulled through the wood and the insert. However, when making a "skimming" cut which I do a lot when processing turning blanks, dust is also thrown to the side. I position a 4" flex hose with a strong magnet to suck in most of this but I do see dust going down through the holes on the insert so I know it's doing at least something.

My bandsaw is hooked up to a powerful dust cyclone dust collector. Note that the dust that gets pulled through the insert by the blade gullets does not all make it into the lower cabinet to get picked up by the DC - a lot is thrown on the floor by feet. To fix that I constructed a shroud to fit between the bottom of the table (around the guides) and the top of the lower cabinet which creates a chamber of sorts to pull dust down into the lower cabinet. With the shroud, there is no dust on the floor.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    My bandsaw is hooked up to a powerful dust cyclone dust collector. Note that the dust that gets pulled through the insert by the blade gullets does not all make it into the lower cabinet to get picked up by the DC - a lot is thrown on the floor by feet. To fix that I constructed a shroud to fit between the bottom of the table (around the guides) and the top of the lower cabinet which creates a chamber of sorts to pull dust down into the lower cabinet. With the shroud, there is no dust on the floor.

JKJ
    The Minimax has that box feature built in. It catches most of the sawdust but some dust still reaches the bottom of the cabinet.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Blasco View Post
    Here's a picture of mine. QS White Oak. And make a few - it is just as easy to make 5 as it is to make one. I didn't use as many holes as the original.
    Attachment 349426
    Nice work Sam.

Did you bevel the insight so that you can tilt the table, as well, or not for these types of inserts?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Jim, how do you mean? Do you feel the holes are needed to support the volume pulled by your dust collector?
    Dust collection is 100% about air flow. In an "ideal" situation, the area that comprises where that air flow comes at the tool will be equal to or slightly greater than the supported area of the diameter of the connection to the tool. In the case of the MM16, that's a 100mm port (~4"). So yes, the holes help provide some of the volume of air flow necessary to "fill the duct".

"Where" that air flow comes from is also important. The dust and chips created on a bandsaw happen where the blade is engaged with the material and they exit downward. The holes in the table insert (in cuts where the material isn't totally covering them) help influence air flow to capture the chips and dust as the blade exits the material and generates better collection on a machine that's actually relatively difficult to collect from.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim, much appreciated.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.