Thread: Finally back into a workshop, definite gloat here.

Finally back into a workshop, definite gloat here.

Hi all.

For the last 5 years I had to downgrade from a 2 car detached garage to an 8 x 10 back yard shed.
    No fun, I tried to make the best of it early on, but frustration at doing simple tasks got the better of me.
    Every time I needed power I had to run an extension cord from the house, and roll it up after I was done, not fun on a cold and dark winter night. The only plus was it heated up very quickly
    So in January this year we found out, to our surprise, we were eligible to buy a house, not knowing this we had no savings put away for closing cost. So I looked into a USDA loan (no closing costs). I qualified but the catch was to move south out of Virginia to North Carolina. SWMBO was not happy, but she started looking online and start to warm up to the idea when she saw what was available for our price compared to Virginia.
    So we made a list of our top 10 in order of preference and contacted a realtor to look at a few. The day before we were to view, SWMBO, found another to add to the list as it had a detached single car garage for my workshop. She forwarded this to the realtor. The next day we drove to meet the realtor turning onto the street he told us to meet him on we met him about 10 houses from the turn. To say I was in love at first site is an understatement (picture #1)
    2 car garage, awesome no more dragging extension cords and cramped quarters, but there was more. After looking at the inside, which SWMBO loved the kitchen; I was led to see a piece of heaven as this greeted me as I walked out the back door.
    (picture #2)
    If I thought it couldn’t get any better then I saw this
    (Picture #3)
    Fully wired for 240V and 115V, also notice just on the left if the picture the pull down steps to a fully boarded attic.
    More of the workshop (picture #4 and #5)
    Now all this above didn’t come without a roller coaster ride to finally purchase. Our original closing date was October 19th, which would have worked out great for us. Our rental lease was up at the end of October; plan was to move in after closing giving us a week to get the rental ready to hand back. No, closing was moved to 11th Nov (Veterans Day), we moved everything into storage and moved into an extended stay hotel. Closing moved again to 28th Nov. After some badgering from my realtor and me to the loan company (who kept changing the date), we got the closing date to Nov 23rd. there was more stress towards final closing, money amounts changing, courts closing ½ day before Thanksgiving and Utilities closing ½ day, but we got the keys and got moved in. Now I have the rest of my life to unpack and make it ours.

Oh and one more note, the house we were supposed to meet the realtor at was the last minute one SWMBO found with a single car garage in the back. Well when the realtor saw it he thought my wife had made a mistake her house was number 1, the house we bought is number 8 on the same street, we had driven past the original one.
    A few more pics of settling in (picture #6 and #7)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

You, my friend, are a fortunate man.

An understanding wife, a nice home, and a shop most dream of.

Congrats,
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Excellent! I remember my excitement of moving into a new dedicated shop after having to trade my old shop for 1/2 of a 2-car garage. I couldn't even wait until I was done building it but started moving in tools and using it even before I finished the wiring, paneling, and lighting!

And North Carolina is a great state to live in. Not as good as TN, of course...

JKJ

Congrats on the move to NC, and more importantly, the new shop space. You will have fun outfitting this space.

That will be a nice shop. Now, before you get two far along with filling it up, go buy a five gallon pail of cheap white paint and rent an airless sprayer and paint all that particle board. You won't need as many light fixtures and your eyes will thank you.

Blog Entries
    Awesome. You lucky dog!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Stunning property.
    He who has the most tools wins! ....Not really, okay how about this... He who has the most friends wins, no no, I'll lose that, okay, lets just stick with ...He who has the most tools wins! ha, I can live with that...

sorry bigfoot, you lose.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks for all the replies guys

Dave that is on the ever growing list of things to do, right now I have only replaced 2 light fixtures to T8. With Christmas coming up got to watch the pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    That will be a nice shop. Now, before you get two far along with filling it up, go buy a five gallon pail of cheap white paint and rent an airless sprayer and paint all that particle board. You won't need as many light fixtures and your eyes will thank you.
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Congrats,am sure you're gonna get lots of quality time in there.

Welcome to North Carolina!

You may want to check out www.ncwoodworker.net It's a good woodworking site, though not nearly as large as SMC. Might be able to meet some local woodworkers.

Mike

Thanks for the welcome to NC and the link. After this chilly Friday (35deg) it looks like the weekend is going to cooperate with me (66 and 70). This will be the first full weekend I have had to get out there since we moved in.