Thread: Space Bar Doesn't Work

Space Bar Doesn't Work

My space bar often does not work when replying in a thread, or replying in a PM???

Blog Entries
    Its a Sawmill Creek feature not present on other vBulletin forums. Its like the backspace key taking you to the next line up . . . its a feature ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had the same problem about a month ago. Here's what worked for me. Maybe it will work for you.

1 Go to settings
    2 Select General settings
    3 Page down to a section that's called miscellaneous and look at which editor you are using. I was using the "Full WYSIWYG" editor. If you are, change to the Standard editor.
    4 Save settings.
    5 Post something and see if that fixed it.

My theory is that either my latest browser upgrade or perhaps an SMC software upgrade contains something that is incompatible with running SMC's WYSIWYG editor on my machine. But again, that's a theory.

Please let us know whether this works for you.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-14-2016 at 9:03 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Its a Sawmill Creek feature not present on other vBulletin forums. Its like the backspace key taking you to the next line up . . . its a feature ;-)
    Goodness, I thought it was just me!

Fred, I've applied your fix to my settings. Been composing my messages in a text editor then cutting/pasting the result to avoid the goofiness of the forum software. Guess I'll try this fix out.

Thanks,

Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I had the same problem about a month ago. Here's what worked for me. Maybe it will work for you.

1 Go to settings
    2 Select General settings
    3 Page down to a section that's called miscellaneous and look at which editor you are using. I was using the "Full WYSIWYG" editor. If you are, change to the Standard editor.
    4 Save settings.
    5 Post something and see if that fixed it.

My theory is that either my latest browser upgrade or perhaps an SMC software upgrade contains something that is incompatible with running SMC's WYSIWYG editor on my machine. But again, that's a theory.

Please let us know whether this works for you.

Fred
    I think the standard editor setting is the default setting as I've never changed it on my account.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I think the standard editor setting is the default setting as I've never changed it on my account.
    Well, somewhere along the way mine got changed and this fixed it. YMMV
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've been seeing this, too. Seems to come and go, though. Haven't touched anything in settings.

I've had the same issue on another vBulletin forum I moderate. I "Go Advanced" to fix it.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I have noticed the same problem in replying to a thread when I quote the previous thread. My fix is to move the cursor to the immediate end of the quoted text and start typing there, and the spacebar then works. After I type the first line or so I move the cursor back to the beginning of my text and add a couple of carriage returns to move the new block of text down, and finish my response. Slightly cumbersome but it works.

I see this when using the Quick Reply function. If I use the Advanced function, the space bar works as advertized.

It has been broke for me since October 2016. Anyone know what is wrong? Is it on the server side or the PC/client side? Browser issue? I only use Chrome, and never tried anything else.

Type in a line feed, then move 'up' to the previous line and start typing. Works for me.

There is (...I think) some hidden end-of-page/doc/post control symbol that causes this. If you get past the control symbol, the space bar 'quits'. A LF forces this wee nasty away from where I type.