Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Hammer

Strange Hammer

Okay, this is a USA, made drop forged hammer head.

IMG_7641.jpg

Anyone ever seen a face with that shape? I'm used to Estwing's smooth curved faces so wondering if this style with a point is "normal" and does anyone use a hammer like this one?

IMG_7639.jpg

I haven't tried to use this one yet.

If by "normal", you mean "Is it supposed to look like this?" - my bet is that it is intentionally made like that. There are many kinds of specialty hammers - I'm always fascinated to go to a box store and just look at all the various types.

It should be fun to hear what this one's used for.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I'd guess that because the face is convex in nature it isn't for hammering nails but rather shaping or flattening metal. There are a lot of specialty tools designed for blacksmiths, auto body restoration, and things as specialized as art or jewelry making (although typically much lighter in weight). Check out anvil tools on Google.

Such as this page from an old tool catalog... anvil.jpg

I'm thinking that with the nail pulling claws,this is a woodworker's hammer,not a metal worker's.

I think the factory failed to finish grinding the face of this hammer to a smooth,convex curve,and it got out roughly shaped. The shape it now has would be an ideal shape from which to grind the smooth,convex shape that a hammer of this type normally has.

Meh, use it for driving Drywall nails.....

Could be. I'm not a hammer collector.

If I recall correctly, they used to describe a hammer with the elongated head as an electrician's hammer. Not sure if that applies to this one.

I agree with George. This hammer escaped when the quality control department wasn't watching.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

My reaction at first glance was the same as George and Dave's - it looks like the face is just as it came off of the drop forge, and needs grinding to shape. interesting that it doesn't show any wear from use or abuse. I wonder if it was part of a manufacturer's display, although since it is handled as a finished tool it is likely just an error.

John's idea of a display could be right. There used to be a lot of store displays with real items in stages of manufacture ; "then the highly skilled technician makes sure .....

I'm going to throw out another possibility. It may be for putting in brad nails. The convex face would allow you to tap in the brad without dinging the surrounding wood. I have an old hammer somewhere with a similar convex face, and I'm pretty sure that is what it's for. It's a light weight hammer though, and you didn't say how heavy yours is.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    That's either a Friday afternoon hammer or an early Monday morning one and the QC person was on vacation or a coffee break.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I vote for a hammer deliberately made to ruin table surfaces.

IOW, I fold; I got nuthin'.

Hammers for brads usually have a narrow cross pein to strike brads held between your fingers. To set brads deeper,I use a nail punch to avoid denting the wood.

BTW: If anyone cares to know,the word should be PANE,rather than PEIN. But,we all say pein anyway.