Thread: Nakashima-Widdicomb Mirror restoration

Blog Entries

Nakashima-Widdicomb Mirror restoration

Morning all! I have repaired and restored a Nakashima-Widdicomb mirror, and thought you may want to look in on the process.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...b-restoration/
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Execellant repair Brian.
    Aj

Nice, as always, but
    what I really enjoy and find helpful is the thoughtful explanation as you explain the various reasons you took certain steps.

thank you much, Patrick

Blog Entries
    Thanks Gents!

Nice work as usual. Do you think Nakashima designed this to be constructed with dowels or did the furniture company take a "labor shortcut"?
    David

Nice work Brian. Did you have to strip the old finish? Also, is that a new mirror or is the original?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Nice work as usual. Do you think Nakashima designed this to be constructed with dowels or did the furniture company take a "labor shortcut"?
    Thank you!

Dowels are very common in top end manufactured furniture, so I think most furniture companies are just geared up to design and build with them and so they do so. The exceptions are usually the exception and not the rule. All things considered it lasted 50~ years and only broke when the frame fell, it was't the breaking point which caused the frame to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Nice work Brian. Did you have to strip the old finish? Also, is that a new mirror or is the original?
    Thank you! I didn't strip the old finish, in the process of resurfacing all of the boards the finish just went with the shavings. The mirror glass is new.

Blog Entries
    In part two of this series I build the supporting frame made to allow the mirror to use a wall cleat rather than rely upon the original hooks.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...ion-part-deux/

Brian Nice rehab. I very impressed with your ideas on frames. Getting frames to hang neatly on the wall is a science by itself. You've done the work now I can borrow, good deal for me
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Thanks James! My idea is unique in this application but very much also borrowed from the antique frames I've peeked behind, so you are welcome to it.

Well done sir. Some of my most satisfying work has been charitable repairs on broken/damaged pieces. It does a heart good to bring a treasure back from shambles to like new condition.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.