Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HRO Closing its doors on Oct 31st

HRO Closing its doors on Oct 31st

The primary sponsor of SawMill Creek is closing its doors the end of October. Hampton Roads Online has been in business as an Internet Provider since 1995, our core business has been shrinking over the years and we are no longer able to continue.

A local company in Yorktown Virginia will be assuming all of our dialup and web hosting business towards the end of October. The transition is currently in the planning stages, we hope it will be as seamless as possible with very little down time.

The fate of SawMill Creek is still undecided at this point in time. Initially we had hoped to be able to host SMC in our shop in Hayes Virginia. This is not possible now as we have not been able to ascertain the services of a server administrator. Additionally the monthly fees associated with a commercial Internet connection combined with server administration costs make it impossible for me to provide the necessary funds out of pocket. Another consideration is that Jackie and I have decided that after ten years of managing a 24 hour per day business it is time to just let go and move on.

I am in the process of negotiating an option that would provide for the continuation of SMC. This option would transfer the ownership to another company, one that has the financial resources to assure that SMC will be able to continue through the years and even decades to come.

I also have assumed worst case and in the event we cannot complete the ownership transfer of SMC by the end of the month I have located a temporary colocation space for our SMC server. This option will have a very short lifespan, the costs associated with colocating a service this large isn't inexpensive but it would buy us some time to complete the final arrangements.

Needless to say there are some very sad days ahead for Jackie and I, the loss of a business that we have worked so hard build from the ground up through the years hits very close to home. Of course we are also concerned about the fate of "The Creek" and are working frantically to assure its survival. There are also financial obligations associated with closing Hampton Roads Online that we must resolve, as well as the loss of Jackie's job and the impact to our friends who have invested in the business.

I will continue to make announcements through the end of the month in an effort to keep everyone appraised of our current status.

Keith, I'm sorry to hear that your business has been forced to close. I can only imagine how difficult of a time it is for you and your wife. I just want to wish you both the very best in your future endeavors.

Dan

Keith, I sent you a PM, but I wanted to say publicly how badly I feel for you with this news. You obviously put your heart and soul into the operation. A terrible loss.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Keith & Jackie,

So very sorry to hear of the demise of HRO.

I've been through the closing of a business [my electrical repair shop] after 10 years. It is really tough, but "knowing when to fold 'em" is important.

Thank you for the wonderful forum you have provided in SMC. It will hopefully continue as a reminder to all of us of Jackie and your dedication to a bright spot on the internet.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Been there, done that as well. Had to close a Bicycle shop in the early 90's and move on. For what it's worth, that turned out to be the very best thing that ever happened to me. Took a chance and went back to school, got a degree, and now we're living large. Hang in there! As has often been said, when faced with a closed door look for an open window. You'll find it's oppertunity.
    Keith Foster Carrera Farms

There are a few thousand people standing beside you, Keith. I have no doubt you will get the support you need from the SMC membership community, 'cause that's what it is...a community.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Kieth & Jackie
    I am truely sorry to hear that your business is closing. Please let me know if there is anything I can do help SMC stay on line. You have created the best ever internet sight. Bar none.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Jackie and Keith....I'm sorry to hear about HRO closing. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help with continuing SMC. This place is a wealth of knowledge and has a civil membership like no other internet site on the web.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jackie and Keith,
    I am deeply sorry that the day you anticipated coming has arrived so soon.

Please share with us the costs of keeping SMC on line. Surely enough people out there feel as I do, that visiting the creek, every day or just once in a while, whether you post or not, provides more wonderful tips, tricks, techniques, full featured DIY articles, shop tours, equipment reviews and comparisons, safety reminders, project design ideas, pictures, intelligent discussions, not so intelligent discussions, links to great personal web sites, humor....need I go on?, than any of the many woodworking magazines I spend money on each year.

There is at least one other woodworking web site that seems to be able to thrive on unobtrusive advertising and voluntary contributions. Let us know what the costs would be for you to continue what you started, in a way that makes it worthwhile, and our collective genius may come up with a solution that works for us all.

Regards,
    Ted
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 10-08-2005 at 9:14 PM.

10. Keith, I'll also join in giving my condolences. (I sent you a PM with a more detailed message).

First, to Keith & Jackie: I sincerely hope you folks will pull out of this OK! Obviously, having run a successful business, such as HRO, is proof enough that you guys have your act together and, with whatever the future holds for you, I have little doubt that you'll get through it just fine. Still, please accept my best wishes for a fruitful, prosperous and rewarding future.

As for SMC, which is THE woodworking forum to be at, if there are any options open to the Creeker membership to keep this place afloat, please share that info with us! For some "odd" reason, I believe there are enough of us out here who sincerely do NOT want to see this community "go under" and would be willing to find a resolution both, short and long term to keep it the wonderful meeting place we've all come to know and love.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Hi Keith & Jackie,
    As I am of a generation that feels good about being able to spell computers I have no idear what it takes to make it work. I have used SMC for advise, got new great ideas, sold stuff, on and on, all the time wondering who is doing all this work and where is the money coming from. In todays world nothing is free, you pay to blow up your tires so why not have a dues system, or everyone has to donate an item for an internet auction, or something. After reading these posts I can see nobody wants to see SMC go by the board and they are willing to pay for it. I know I am.
    Syd L

Keith,

Sorry to hear of your need to close your business. I can not imagine it is due to any lacking on your part and I am certain that any future endeaver you pursue will suceed. Your participation in this forum has caused it to become international and created a place for all of us to "hang our hat" on a continual basis.
    Thank you so much!!

All the best,

Kent

My thoughts are with you as I am sure this was a very difficult decision. If every tenth member sent in a contribution, what would it take to keep SMC up and running and non-commercial? Count on me for at least one of the "tenth" spots. How can we help?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    My thoughts are with you as I am sure this was a very difficult decision. If every tenth member sent in a contribution, what would it take to keep SMC up and running and non-commercial? Count on me for at least one of the "tenth" spots. How can we help?
    I'm with Alan, at the very least! Also, maybe you might consider this thread getting moved over to the "General..." forum for a bit more exposure? Not everyone tracks the OT forum...
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!