Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ideas needed- wall mounted hand tool storage cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    The chest that Gene Davis refers to above is featured in Fine WoodWorking Tools & Shops Winter 2017. The plans aren't included in the article. A video tour of that cabinet can be found here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S409v9cOrBk

It is another great cabinet - designed for a rather extensive collection of chisels. It has tools nested 4 compartments deep. It has a neat feature that allows the third layer to slide out the side of cabinet (sort of like a pocket door).

Of course for the serious tool cabinet you have to check out Gary Zimmel's Neanderthal Haven (link to the end of the thread follows):
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-drawers/page7
    Joe, 2 great links,,,Love the Gene Davis video..Great ideas and attention to detail..
    I'm humbled after seeing those...Thanks Joe..
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Attachment 349784

This is the one that has the wall cabinet. By the way, the trestle foot on that bench on the cover needs to be arched in the middle underneath so it has feet instead of the whole stretcher being on the floor.

Saw that issue as well as a video of his work...VERY good results,
    I agree with your thoughts on the feet for the bench.....Thanks
    Jerry

grateful

Guys, I have learned much in this thread......Thank you...I am humbled by many of your great efforts.....Thanks
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Fine Woodworking as a few articles and some PDF's you can download.

Here's mine hope it gives you an idea (the right side door where the squares hang opens and saw storage behind.

Attachment 349829

Attachment 349830

Attachment 349831Attachment 349831
    Very nice, Robert!

I have a similar sloped arrangement for holding metal-bodied planes in a rolling tool cabinet in a storage unit back in the States, and am very pleased with it. Mine is a dovetailed box, however, that rests on a shelf in the cabinet. This lets me remove it from the cabinet for cleaning and modifications, after first removing the planes, of course. Flexibility is the key to future proofing.

The wasted space inside bothered me too, so I attached hinges at the top edge, and use a stick to keep the lid open. I must remove a few of the longer planes before opening the lid because the handles interfere with the cabinet top. Gas pistons seem like overkill....

In any case, it is not a space where I store things I might need to access regularly since it is clumsy to get at. Spare parts, extra blades, tsumitsubo line and ink, etc.

Stan

Progress Report from tardy WWer

When I said I would pursue after the bowl games, I didn't indicate which year ....After many friendly obstacles, I finally got back to the project...These pictures will show that I am actually building it (albeit slowly)...Today's glue up of the doors was a big hurdle which I am glad to report are now curing overnight....The next objective will be to mount the cabinet on the wall and then hang the tools inside ..(not sure which method to use for hanging the tools although most of the planes will be stored flat/horizontally)....So the project is alive as am I,although life temporarily got in the way this past year.

PS....Haven't figured out how to correct these pics back to vertical..Sorry

2018-01-12 13.04.23.jpg2018-01-12 10.22.31.jpg2018-01-12 13.04.00.jpg2018-01-12 13.03.07.jpg
    Jerry

"My cabinet will be utilitarian (nothing fancy) but with a purpose: protection, safety and dust. " - Jerry Olexa 12-17-2016

Maybe we just live in different rent districts, but in my neighborhood, those finished raised panel doors just pushed this cabinet into the fancy category.

Seriously, looks like you have settled on a great design. I look forward to seeing your progress in the days ahead.

Joe comment

Joe, you are correct..That was my original goal and still is.
    I realized as I finally started building it that it was really a big box with doors...So, I did decide later to "dress it up" a little with the raised panel doors..They are easy to make and I had some cherry laying around so they evolved ..(I did cheat and use power tools on that part, mostly a router)..
    But the cabinet is still simple and will be used to protect and keep sawdust etc out.
    I'm realizing now that those 3/4" cherry doors added to the frames are heavy..I'm hoping the 2 piano hinges can carry the weight plus the tools I'll be hanging on them later. Thanks, Joe.
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    I'm realizing now that those 3/4" cherry doors added to the frames are heavy..I'm hoping the 2 piano hinges can carry the weight plus the tools I'll be hanging on them later. Thanks, Joe.
    Looking good so far Jerry. There should be some way of finding a weight rating for the hinges. One of my thoughts on this is to have a large castor on the bottom of my tool cabinet to help carry the weight of the doors. Another is to have the lighter tools in the doors. A saw till would be lighter than a plane rack.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If iPhone and Mac, open in Preview, rotate as required, and save the image. Even though iPhone shots open correctly in Preview, they still need to be rotated through 360 degrees, then saved to display correctly when uploaded to generic sites. Perfect opportunity to crop and resize for sites with file size limits.

Jerry looking good. how did you attach the raised panel doors to the frame thats attached to the case? Im thinking of doing some thing like that when i make a new cabinet. Jerry S

Blog Entries
    I like where this is going Jerry. More than happy to tag along. I think you made a good decision on the doors. My BB ply wall-hanger is large, useful and easily modifiable as things change but, it is just a finger-jointed plywood box. Next time around I am going to kick it up a notch. Certainly a lot of great ideas in this thread to refer back to. Well done.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-13-2018 at 10:06 AM.

These are the tool cases that are above my workbench. They have worked well for me.

tools 01.jpg tools 02.jpg

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Schram View Post
    Jerry looking good. how did you attach the raised panel doors to the frame thats attached to the case? Im thinking of doing some thing like that when i make a new cabinet. Jerry S
    Jerry, thanks....I used biscuits for alignment and then titebond with many clamps (as in the pictures)...Works fine..I was gluing cherry to poplar...
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I like where this is going Jerry. More than happy to tag along. I think you made a good decision on the doors. My BB ply wall-hanger is large, useful and easily modifiable as things change but, it is just a finger-jointed plywood box. Next time around I am going to kick it up a notch. Certainly a lot of great ideas in this thread to refer back to. Well done.
    Thanks Glenn.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looking good so far Jerry. There should be some way of finding a weight rating for the hinges. One of my thoughts on this is to have a large castor on the bottom of my tool cabinet to help carry the weight of the doors. Another is to have the lighter tools in the doors. A saw till would be lighter than a plane rack.

jtk
    Jim, not sure I understand your use of a castor?..It will be wall mounted (french cleat)..The cherry panels have added much weight to those swinging doors...Please explain to this ignorant WWer your suggestion....Thanks Jim.
    Jerry