Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Ideas needed- wall mounted hand tool storage cabinet

Gerald, I also glued each door panel individually to allow full clamping access..FYI.
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Jim, not sure I understand your use of a castor?..It will be wall mounted (french cleat)..The cherry panels have added much weight to those swinging doors...Please explain to this ignorant WWer your suggestion....Thanks Jim.
    My suggestion only works if the tool cabinet goes all the way to the floor. Then a large wheel like this:

Wheel.png

mounted on the bottom of the door would lend support.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim..Yes it will be wall mounted
    Jerry

Clamps are removed:

Clamps are off...Still much to do: drawers, tool mounts, finishing and wall mount...fun project but time consuming.
    Still haven't figured out the vertical alignment of pics but did discover when you have pic opened and click again, it will go to true vertical Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jerry

Bigger is better

I made a wall hanging (French cleats) hand tool storage unit a few years ago. Very utilitarian. Plywood and Poplar. It is 49" W x 38" H x 12" D. It has double doors, opening outward, swinging on piano hinges. So it opens to 98" W. The doors are 4" deep and also store tools. Doors close and have simple latches to keep them tightly closed.Three interior shelves in the main area. A variety of specific hangers/slots/etc for tools. It is close to my main bench and it is easy to retrieve and replace tools. Each tool is directly accessible; no need to remove any tool to get at another tool. All my hand tools except saws are stored there. Well not quite all tools. It eventually got filled up with other essential tools. After that more recently acquired tools have gotten stuffed into various nooks and crannys within my shop. I also hang my eggbeaters on the outside side of the main compartment. I have a separate saw till for all saws. (Not that many, about 20 or so)
    My conclusion: very useful, not a work of art, completely functional, within reach of bench, very handy. Downside - When I made it all my hand tools fit and with room to spare. (Ready to store newly bought/made tools). But now - Why didn't I make it bigger? What was I thinking? Back then I didn't realize how many other hand tool were absolutely essential. 18 handplanes, 30 some chisels, 5 augers, spokeshaves, measuring/marking tools, etc. etc. etc. Maybe it is time to start thinking about a second tool cabinet.

The moral of the story is: Make it BIGGER than you think you will ever need; or find wall space for the first one and save wall space for the inevitable second one.